Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Resources for parents with special needs children?

one of my sons has severe developmental delay. no diagnosis yet, but all the same, he is a handful. trying to keep him out of things, dealing with his tantrums, and often destructive behavior is a full time job. then i have another child to care for, a house to clean, meals to cook, appointments to keep. i am feeling like nothing is getting done. my husband is always working, so i am really the only one who can do this. does anyone know of any resources. maybe something like income based inhome childcare a few times a week or just anything that would help me get things done. my house is a wreck. dinner is crazy and i feel like i am majorly neglecting my other child for having to keep CONSTANT attention on the one with special needs. help...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (4)
  • Check with your local Mental Health/Social Services Dept. many areas have programs that will send an in home therapist to work with your child a small amount of time each week.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 12:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • Google Autism support groups in your area(I know you said he had no diagnosis but an Autism group will be able to help you with developmental delays and have good advice and support) and also google respite care.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • But_Mommie

    Answer by But_Mommie at 12:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • Not sure where you live, but each state has a Medicaid waiver program. Get on the waiting list for that in your area! I was on the waiting list for 4 years here in NC, BUT if you qualify for Medicaid based on your finances it's possible you can get someone in for a limited number of hours fairly quickly. The Medicaid waiver program in my state (not dependent on finances) allows a one on one worker for my son for 20 hours when he's in school, 40 hours when he's not - it's been a huge lifesaver. They also will buy equipment that will help - they are paying for me to fence in my yard! (since my son is a wanderer.
    Definitely get in touch with the autism groups in your area - they will be able to give you location specific information. At 3, they should offer a public school program that will help him immensely and give you some time with your other little one. Good luck!

    Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.