Picking out baby names?

My best friend is having her 3rd child and she is half spanish and half white, her husband is spanish. her older two children have preaty white names and now she is thinking of spanish names for this baby, are there names that can meet in the middle, her sister told her it would sound funny so she asked me for help on more names, do not know sex of baby

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 12:26 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Baby Names

• I don't think it would sound funny to have a kid with a Spanish name.

But it's her decision.. So Celia is a Spanish name also used by white people. Also Gabriella. Isabella.. I can't come up with any boy names right now!!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 12:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• She and her husband can talk about this since she is a native speaker of English and he is a native speaker of Spanish.

There are some names, like David and Diana, that are very common in both languages but are pronounced totally differently (Diana is"die-ann-uh" vs. "dee-on-uh;" David is "day-vid" vs. "dah-veed," roughly).
    There are other names that are totally unheard of in one language but common in the other, like Kelly (English) or Jimena (Spanish).

But there are a lot of names that overlap quite a bit and only have a slight different in pronunciation, like Victoria ("vick" vs something more like "veek" for the 1st syllable is the only big difference), Carina, Sophia/Sofia, Erica, Lara, Victor, Emanuel, Lucas, Marco, Oscar, Nicolas.

The real question is not whether or not "Spanish names" sound "funny," but whether or not a particular name is too exotic for them.

Good luck to her!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Isabella, Bella for short :)
    amandasmomma

Answer by amandasmomma at 12:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would use a website or baby book that tells you the origin, probably have a lot of options if you go that route.
    WMyLil_Star13

Answer by WMyLil_Star13 at 7:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• have her go to a baby names website. you can search baby names by ethnicity
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I love the name Cruz!?
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 2:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Maria.. It can go either way.. Not sure about boy names... They are the hardest.
    lisaandnoodle

Answer by lisaandnoodle at 3:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Gabriella is one of my fav names!! I can't think of any good boy names right now though!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 4:41 PM on May. 26, 2011