I need your suggestions! re: yeast infections adult content

I've had chronic recurring yeast infections for two and a half years now (ever since the birth of my 2nd daugther) and I am at my wit's end. I've seen two different doctors; the first gave me a Diflucan and sent me on my way, the second gave me a month's worth of Diflucan and said that prolonged treatment should eradicate it completely. (It seemed to work, but a month later, voila!).

I have tried *everything*. I switched to all-cotton panties, I never wear underwear to bed, I dry myself thoroughly after showers, I never use any type of scented products down there (I generally just rinse with water), I eat yogurt regularly, you name it. I just don't know what else I can do anymore, and it's miserable.

I stopped using at-home kits (Monistat, etc) to treat them because I thought they might be making it worse. (I mean, I should be able to go more than a week and a half without symptoms starting up again!) So now I've been trying natural remedies - taking Acidophilus supplements, eating more yogurt, even - gag - inserting yogurt into the vagina. It's only been a week since I started this regimen, but my current infection hasn't improved in the slightest.

I'm not on antibiotics, I'm not diabetic, I've been tested for every STD under the sun. Docs keep saying these are just run-of-the-mill yeast infections. Well, after 2+ years of one every couple weeks, I'm ready to scream!

I need suggestions! :(

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 12:32 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Health

• I also wash my underwear in completely unscented, dye-free detergent and never use fabric softener in those loads. :-/ Forgot to mention that.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 12:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My husband is a marine so I've gone through several physicians.. several have told me to put plain yogurt on a tampon and insert it. It may also be time for you too see an internal medicine doctor.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• do u shower directly after sex, that seems to stir it up again for me, if i fall asleep after without washing and drying up. and dont use creams, use suppositories, they seem to be much better than creams,
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Not sure if this is possible but may be worth a shot.. Has your DH/SO been treated for it.. He could pass it right back to you.. Like I said, not sure if it's possible but worth checking out.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Thank you ladies! Fefe, you have a good point - washing right after sex is something I need to start doing. Midnightmoma, my husband used a cream for a week or so a few months ago, just in case.

I am currently in the process of trying the yogurt on a tampon thing.....unpleasant but if it works, it'll be worth it! Haha
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 12:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Use condoms for the next month or so to see if it will clear up, sometimes women can have a negative reaction to the PH of DH's semen. Keep doing the yogurt and look into OTC PH balacers for yeast (I think AZO makes one).
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• HAVE THEY TESTED OR TREATED YOU FOR BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS??
    The symptoms are very similar. I reoccuring yeast infections and was miserable! Finally my dr. treated me for bacterial vaginosis (she thinks I got it from OTC VCF!!) and I haven't had one since!! Hope you find relief soon! GL!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 1:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• dragonflylovr, thank you! No doctor has so much as mentioned bacterial vaginosis, and I was starting to wonder about this myself!! I need to mention it to someone. I'd be so frustrated if that ended up being the root cause after all of this, but it would be nice to have it over with nonetheless!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 1:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I personally prefer a shower over a bath because of this issue!!! Every single time I take a bath, I end up with the problem!!! ~*Eewww*~

Than again, I am the kind of person that will get sick just being 100feet from someone who is, nothing helps, and I stopped getting flu shots becuse I ended up sick more often
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Insert a clove of raw garlic into your vagina over night. You can thread a string through it to pull it out if needed, but I've never had trouble getting it out. Do nightly until the infection is gone. Garlic treats BV as well, so even if it is BV and not a YI, it should still clear it up. Keep eating the yogurt because it totally wipes out the flora in your vagina, so the probiotics in the yogurt will be needed to help keep the balance right as it repopulates.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:11 PM on May. 25, 2011