Must help son poop

Ok on Sunday my son ate used kitty litter. He hasn't had a bowel movement on his own since before he ate it and both poison control and the doctor are concerned but would like us to try other methods to help him pass it since he doesn't have the vomiting and other things that go with a typical bowel obstruction yet. Since he's seemed uncomfortable and won't take the laxative we've given him a glycerin enema hoping he'll pass it but all he can manage is a little liquid poop and a lot of mucus. The only solid matter in this kids bowel movements is mucus.
Also he seems to be sick,no fever but all he does is sleep, he's not eating or drinking as much as usual and he sounds really bad. The doctor said not to worry about it unless he gets a high fever but this looks a lot like something the cat just got over and we know that the cat picked it up from fighting outside. Does this sound like maybe we should take him back in soon? What can I do to help this kid poop? FYI tried Miralax and prunes and he just won't eat them.He's really picky and he's pickier when he's sick.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:47 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• fresh squeezed orange juice gets things going, try a baby cereal of some sort, or a fruit cocktail in the blender. make him drink it. if he still wont eat, take him in, better safe than sorry
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• First off other than a few parasites there isn't much your child could catch form the cat litter. Have you tried the tasteless dissolve-able fiber? You can mix it in any non carbonated drink and it full dissolves and is taste free. DH mixes it in water for his hemorrhoids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is his abdomen tender? If he is sore then I would take him in now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Foods high in fiber, even a fiber supplement may be helpful. Prunes, prune juice, spinach, grapefruit, and try eliminating dairy for right now, until he has a bowel movement. These are all things that I've tried.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Put a little prune juice in coke, or warm karo syrup in tea or kool aid, and push as much water as posible b/c it should help soften his stool.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• From your profile this baby is about 9 months old right... I would go back to the Dr. If he is unwilling to help or at least investigate the complications; I would get a second opinion from a GI Dr.. Not eating and drinking plus sleeping all the time is not normal unless they are sick or something is wrong.. Giving his age, I wouldn't give too many OTC products unless his ped said it was safe for his age..

It's only been a few days so I am not too worried about him not having a BM but the rest concerns me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• He is almost 10 months and the MIralax was the peds idea. He won't eat gritty,he won't eat prunes or spinach and I can't eliminate milk from his diet he lives on formula. How do i make a baby drink something? How much Karo do I give him it sounds like something he'll take?
    This keeps up much longer today I'm just taking him into the instacare.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would call his ped and ask about soluble fiber and mixing it in apple juice or formula... If he isn't feeling well though I really think I would just go in or at LEAST make an apt for tomorrow morning. It may be a coincidence ( ate litter and got a little stomach but around the same time) but I would rather have it looked into further.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Prune juice.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Apple juice!! I hope he is ok!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 10:44 PM on May. 25, 2011