First dental appt

How old should a child be before their first dental exam?

edensgarden101

Asked by edensgarden101 at 12:51 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Around the age of 2, you can take the child in the office with you to watch you get a cleaning. They can do that a couple of times, and maybe around the age of 3 they can start going. That is if your child will sit and watch and be cooperative. My dd was a little older just because she would not sit still!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 12:54 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm not sure myself, but I plan on doing it around the age of 2, but make sure you bush they teeth until then.
    MsVanqueOsg

Answer by MsVanqueOsg at 12:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• ~*First Teeth*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Also, get them used to it from early on, so they will not develop a fear of the dentist!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Most dentists wont se children until the age of 3. You could take them to a pediatric dentist. My child is almost 2 and there is no way he'd sit still or open his mouth for an exam. I just make sure i brush his teeth (i also try to floss them when he's sleeping because otherwise it just won't happen when he's awake.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 1:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I took my son to his first when he was 18 months but when I got there they said you are supposed to do it when they get their first teeth.
    Not because it's medically important, just to get your kid used to going to the dentist. Ehh, I say 18 months or 2 should be fine just brush their teeth at home until then.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 4:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My sons doctor says we don't have to worry about it until he is about 4 years old. Relief! :)
    BraydonsMama262

Answer by BraydonsMama262 at 7:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• First teeth! it's really just to make sure they are coming in properly and so the dentist can make sure that YOU know how to properly take of those first teeth too/ just preventative and to get them used to regular check-ups asap. I was really worried about the whole dental thing myself with my son because the earliest memories I have of going to the dentist myself are super traumatic and scary and I have horrible dental hygiene as an adult. I really wanted to make sure my son did not inherit that trait. My son also developed his teeth earlier than most, I took him for the first time probably around 16 months.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:13 AM on May. 27, 2011