What are "service jobs" - pimarily in Orlando, FL?

My daughter is a student at UCF. I'm currently "in between" jobs and want to look around Orlando for jobs to probably start a life in Orlando, Florida. I've been looking online, doing research about the Orlando job market. Blog responses say that the Orlando job market really stinks in office jobs, but is good in service jobs.

First, what is meant by "service jobs"?

For anyone who lives in Orlando, what is the job market like? And, what would you suggest for anyone who is looking for work in the Orlando area?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• The hospitality industry.........hotels, restaurants, theme parks, bars, etc............
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:54 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Jobs are hard to come by in FL. my mom has been a waitress for 25 yrs. and it took her 3 months to find a job...you have to be patient for sure...therea re jobs out there,but for every 1 there are at least 30 applicants...so GL!!!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Service Industry jobs: hospitality, hotel, restaurant, resort, retail, janitorial,..etc. These are typical service industry jobs.

Side note: In the US, service industry jobs has been the largest job growth sector for over a decade now. It will not be long before the majority of jobs in this country will qualify as "service industry jobs".. Typically low wage (starting at minimum or just above), little to no benefits, rarely full time usually part to 3/4 time ( keeping employees below 30 hours a week means that the company does not have to pay for benies even when they are offered), little/very slow advancement up the ladder (so to speak) and so on..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• not sure how the job market is there...we are getting out of season so i don't know how much luck you will have.
    service jobs are just what it says...retail, hospitality (hotels) waiterress/hostesses etc...
    If you or your daughter would be interested in your own businesses...message me!! I have an amazing opportunity for you both!! Make excellent money!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:09 PM on May. 25, 2011