Why is it so hard for my newborn to fall asleep sometimes?

Some days all it takes is me nursing her, or rocking her a little bit. Then again other days although she's obviously tired, she fights it with everything she has! Is there anything else we could be doing to help her relax? She still has a little bit of her umbilical cord left, so I'm still waiting to give her a real bath.

ours

Asked by ours at 1:00 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• b/c she's a newborn... her sleep cycle/pattern isn't established yet, her brain is developing and trying to regulate everything... that's hard to shut off sometimes.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• *bump* My son at 3-1/2 still fights sleep and wakes at night so I don't know.. Good luck!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't know. But perhaps boredom? Its the perfect time for daddy to get his cuddle time! lol I feel like my son is always in my arms because I'm nursing on demand. So when he's just being fussy and fighting sleep daddy gets to deal with him. ;)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• you can still give her a bath we did and it didn't hurt her or you can buy them alcohal swabs and clean it real good that will get it to come off sooner !
    alliep2011

Answer by alliep2011 at 1:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We actually have to take turns on rocking her or trying to relax her because it can take so long. An hour will go by and her poor eyes are all wrinkly and sleepy looking, but she still fights it. I usually end up nursing her if it's taken that long and all else fails.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Homeopathic teething tablets contain chamomilla which is another name for chamomile. Try giving her some of those. They are completely safe. Hyland's is the brand we use. Also, a lavender bath can do wonders. Do not put alcohol on the cord stump as it is a preservative and will actually delay the deterioration that causes it to fall off. Have you tried infant massage? Check it out! It's great bonding time and very relaxting for baby.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Have you tried just laying her down when she's tired. Not all newborns want to be rocked to sleep, it can be too stimulating sometimes.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

• She is still so new to this world that it is all probably a bit overwhelming and overstimulating. Do you swaddle? That helped my dd immensely. I highly recommend getting the DVD The Happiest Baby on the Block. It really helped us with our newborn. The basic principle is that the first three months of life are almost like a fourth trimester. The baby is still developing and now adjusting to being out of the womb. They were in there all warm and safe, rocked by moms daily movements, soothed by the sounds of the fluids and mom's voice. And now all of that is gone. White noise helped my dd, we would run a fan (which also helps reduce SIDS risk), and a paci helped because they need to suck. Also, when in doubt, I say nurse. Sometimes I would wait and wait and finally nurse and she would calm right down and I would want to slap myself. A swing can help recreate the constant motion of the womb, too. But sometimes babies just cry. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• @MaryMW - that sounds like what we've been doing. We usually swaddle her before rocking her and she does like it, but sometimes it isn't enough. When that isn't enough we'll try using a pacifier for some extra comfort. If that doesn't work and it's been at least 2hrs since she ate last (sometimes it really takes this long to get her to let herself fall asleep), I'll nurse her. If that STILL isn't enough, we'll try the swing. Even that doesn't always work. She gets so overtired from fighting sleep that it's hard. She doesn't cry or anything during all this time. She may fuss at times, but the rocking or patting makes her feel better temporarily. I'm wondering if it's her stomach bothering her when she's like this. I bought some gas drops and am only trying to use them before bed even though it says you can use them more.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 4:21 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Get the DVD "the Happiest Baby on the Block" , it was the best present ever!
    misscasa

Answer by misscasa at 7:40 PM on May. 25, 2011