Craving soil?

This happen to anyone? i know it's called pica...I was driving down the rd. and all a sudden had this really strong craving for soil...like potting soil..i could smell it and everything...this has happened to me before,but I was pregnant and my iron was fine...which is usually why one would crave something like that...I'm not sure whats going on...I'm not going to eat it...eww...but anyone crave something weird like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Health

• You really need to have your iron checked. It is almost always a sign of anemia.

I had pica symptoms during one of my pregnancies from low iron, but one of my girlfriends eats baby powder, chalk, and all sorts of awful things when her iron drops and for years never told anyone or knew what was going on.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh, and it is very easy to treat. Either through diet or iron pills.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

• I ate dirt and sand as well. The doctor upped my iron dose.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My doc told me it could also be a hormone imbalance. I still do that sometimes lol and I haven't been pregnant for a little over 2 years now. I get that smell of good, freshly turned dirt, and I'm just like, 'Mmmmmmm.....' lol DH makes fun of me all the time for it. I've never eaten it though, thank God.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yeah logically i would never eat it...i would rather live with not satisfying that craving.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Your body is craving something it's not getting in other forms (through your diet or vitamins) so you need to get checked out and get your levels up.
    Anonymous

• pica is when you will eat anything and everything in site

anyway, cravings are normal, i love the smell of soil! i don't think its weird
    i love the smell of soil!
    i really don't think it has to do with what your body needs, you just want to smell it and that's that
    we have receptors that are connected to other receptors so if one is triggered, so will the other
    thats why smells evoke childhood memories for example which explains why smells can be nostalgic
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 2:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Pica ( /ˈpaɪkə/ py-kə) is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., metal, clay, coal, sand, dirt, soil, feces, chalk, pens and pencils, paper, batteries, spoons, toothbrushes, soap, mucus, ash, gum, etc.[1]) or an abnormal appetite for food ingredients (e.g. flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt).[2] For these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird that is reputed to eat almost anything.[3] Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women, small children, and those with developmental disabilities
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I used to have many clients as a therapist who sufferred from pica. I know it can cause daily frustration. I agree with the others who referred you to your Dr. for some workups. Good Luck.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 8:53 PM on May. 25, 2011