Encouraging little girl to kiss little boy?

I have a friend with a 4-year-old daughter who thinks it's funny to encourage her DD to kiss a little boy in her preschool class. The little girl thinks its funny now too and will often just kiss the little boy with no provocation. The boy came to the girls soccer game last weekend and she wouldn't even go on the field because she wanted to play with the boy. I SAW the child kiss him at least 4 times in one hour -- the other adults just stared and most mumbled about not encouraging the child to do that. What did the mom do? She thought it was hilarious! I'm afraid it could lead to a HUGE interest in boys at too early of an age. What are your thoughts?
(kisses are usually on cheek -- but have seen on mouth too)

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 1:14 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sisters did that to my daughter and I put a stop to it. They called me a prude of course however, I really believe kids shouldn't be taught and encouraged to hug, kiss, or sit on the lap of a stranger. It just isn't safe.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 1:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it is TERRIBLE to encourage small children to kiss each other! Do you know how easy it is for little kids to pass germs back and forth ANYWAY?

When DD was about one she would kiss her cousin (also female) because they were just learning how to kiss mom/dad, etc. and we all thought it was cute. Now that the girls are almost three, we ALL tell them not to kiss (AND THEY ARE RELATED!). Hugging is fine, but kisses spread germs.

Children kissing is highly inappropriate, IMO, and should be discouraged.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 1:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with you both -- :-) Thanks for your comments!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't encourage that to my daughter, Like you said I think it will make her have interest in boys at a very early age. Not a good idea!
    NathyEriJose

Answer by NathyEriJose at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My kids are 6,4 and 3. I dont mind an occasional kiss on the cheek or a hug or whatever for relatives or really close friends (kind of a sweet loving gesture IMO) but wouldnt encourage it with just some buy/girl in their class.
    I have talked to all 3 of them about when it is and when it isnt appropriate. IMO I kiss my friends and even kids I know well on the cheek and give hugs but I wouldnt just walk up to someone and do it and I feel the same level of personal space and such is also appropriate for kids.
    Again JMO...
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 1:52 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't think kids at that age should be kissing anyone that isn't a relative. To me it just doesn't seem funny or right. My 6 year old DD knows she isn't suppose to kiss boys and other than one time last summer she hasn't - she swears up and down she didn't kiss the boy in her class when me and his mom met up at the park (his mom and I went to school together) but we both saw it and because it was only little peck neither of us made a big deal about it. However my 5 year old DD thinks its funny that little boys want to kiss her - I worry about her having a lack of boundaries and always tell her she can't kiss friends, I told her its ok to hug them and her cousins can kiss her on the cheek but that's all.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My BF has a son that is 6 mo older than my DD (3) and they are best friends. We took them to get Valentine's Day Sweetheart pics this year and got the most adorable pic of him kissing her on the cheek and handing her a rose. Kissing on the cheek is allowed as far as I'm concerned, but kissing on the mouth is strictly forbidden (had to address that with the inlaws who think it's ok for adults to kiss children on the mouth).
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:42 PM on May. 25, 2011