How do you treat a bad case of hives??

I hadn't gotten a case of hives in a very long time!! I've had them for a whole day and a half and I woke with them, this morning. The itching is driving me nuts, eventhough I put some calamine lotion on the welts.

Asked by roselove7 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• My 9 year old's hives are quite severe at times. I give him liquid Benadryl and apply Caladryl lotion (a combo of calamine and benadryl for the skin). There is also a Zyrtec Hives liquid available over the counter, for people who are allergic to Benadryl.I have used it also for my son and it works well and was very fast acting. There have been two times when the above didn't help and the hives got worse. If that happens, I would not delay getting help. His face and lips began to swell,so, that became an emergency. My son needed a shot of benadryl and a 10 day RX for prednisone. It took 8 days for the hives to go away, but, the itching and severe swelling improved quickly. Hives can be tricky. I am never without Benadryl.

Answer by funwithfaithmom at 3:23 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I suppose it depends on what caused them. For my daughter we use Benadryl topical cream on the hives to stop the itching and pain. Be sure to keep the hives away from direct sunlight and heat as it will probably make them worse.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Bendryl is the best medicine out there for hives or any allergic reaction. If it is really really itchy get some carami(sp?) lotion. If you're like me and allergic to Bendryl then get some Aveeno body wash and lotion and it works wonders.

Answer by Babyduche at 12:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• take liquid bendryl and if they are bothering her give her a baking soda bath

Answer by Kira_Mom at 12:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The only thing that takes that itch away for my hives is...hydrocortizone cream. Hope ya feel better soon.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Benadryl is what I take for the most part. I also might put on some anti-itch cream.

Answer by sunshinepraying at 5:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2008