breastfeeding vs bottle feeding

I am very uncomfortable with the idea of breastfeeding in public. . I wanted to know if anybody knew about mixing formula with breast milk . . Also how often can you pump? Any advice would be great

mandar

Asked by mandar at 5:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't really know about mixing the food, but I can tell you about breastfeeding in public, as I refuse to do it yet my son is 100% breastfed!

Whenever we go anywhere and we're going to be in front of other people, I pump beforehand. My pump has a car adapter, so I ride in the backseat and pump before we get to our destination. I'm usually done in about 10 minutes. If you're at the mall and need to nurse, head to the nicer department stores, they usually have a nice place to sit adjacent to the restroom, where the only people that will see you are women on their way to the potty. Our Herberger's actually had a specific room for nursing! Otherwise, just make sure to have a large enough blanket in your diaper bag to cover you and baby. I've done this at my parents and in-laws house when my son was littler and I wasn't yet pumping, it was not a big deal at all.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you can pump as much as you want to. I normally pump after i feed my baby just to get the rest of the milk he didn't drink. and do you mean literally mixing it? or just giving them a bottle with formula in it? i give my little guy formula if we're out somewhere because i'm not comfortable with breastfeeding in public either. The only problem I've had ia my lil one doesn't like the formula and spits up a TON after he eats it. So I take a little cooler with breast milk i pumped beforehand so he can still have the breast milk while we're out
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you don't have to use formula at all. Before you use the house just pump a few bottles and take them with you wherever you are going. I think breast milk is good up to an hour but you can bring a small cooler if your out long then take it out to let it warm before hand. Use the heater in the car. lol.
    Anonymous

• It's ok to be a little uncomfortable with this, but it'll work out better than you think, I promise! You may end up being really comfortable walking around with a blanket draped over you! You may want to check out some of the products on the market designed for breastfeeding discreetly, different slings and wras and such. Very creative!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• If you can keep it at room temperature, breastmilk can actually be good for several hours, as long as it hasn't been refrigerated first! Then it needs to be used within an hour. I also have a bottle warmer for the car (I got it at Target for pretty cheap!) that does the trick for heating up a cold bottle.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• first let me say I too was way too embarassed to nurse in public .. with my first by the time had my second I didn't give a crap anymore. You are covered get some nursing tops people have no idea what your doing. A sling that is breast feeding friendly works great too people think your just carrying your baby.
    As for pumping just do it in between feedings. If you know your baby eats every 2 hours pump at the 1 hour mark. At first you won't get much but as time goes on you'll get more. Don't mix bm and formula give the bm first then finish the feeding with formula in a different bottle so you know the baby got all the good stuff. When there is an oz left in a bottle you don't know how much is formula and how much is bm. Warning though formula makes the poop stink worse so use it rarely. Any more info just pm me I nursed 5 (sometimes I used formula too)
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I didn't think I would be able to bf in public either (thought it would be really hard since I am very large busted), but it was so easy. I would feed him in the car before we went inside if it was around feeding time (all the time for him!) or if our shopping trip was taking too long, I would duck into a dressing room, etc. One thing I learned is that if you grab an article of clothing, then you don't have to explain. I was told that I couldn't use the dressing room at one store because they were busy, which they weren't!
    The one thing I would tell you about pumping and formula is that if you start before 6 - 8 weeks, then you could confuse your supply and end up with supply issues (normally not enough as opposed to over supply). I agree with babyfat5... I supplemented when my son was around 2 months old, but only for about 2 or 3 weeks until I got my emotions under control! Feel free to pm me if you want. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Katie, your answer reminded me that some of our malls have nursing rooms too! I am just not a mall person. :)
    btw, Grocery shopping trips are usually short enough not to need to feed before you get home.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you will probably be a pro at it before you hit public areas.
    can't say i've ever heard mixing formula and breasmilk in the same bottle.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 8, 2008