Uh oh...im measuring at 27 weeks and am only 23 weeks.

My doctor was not concerned,but made me feel as though I may have a big baby on my hands. She told me that at the time of my ultrasound my little one was weighing at almost a pound and should have only been weighing 4 oz or so. When she measured me she had this look on her face kinda like an "uh oh" face. Told me I was measuring an entire month ahead. Anyone ever experience this? She also told me I am all baby.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 1:41 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yep! Same with me. So for the last trimester, midwife instructed me to eliminate ALL sweets and ALL grains--stick to protein and fruit and vegetables. IT WORKED! Ended up with a healthy 7 1/2 lb baby!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Have you been tested for gestational diabetes yet? Are you or the baby's father very tall?

There are many reasons the baby would measure bigger. Plus u/s are know to not be very accurate when judging weight. Don't fret too much yet.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• yes and i had a 6lb. 15 oz. baby and I was diabetic so at a higher risk for a big baby
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's pretty common. They go by statistics for measurments. It doesn't mean it's abnormal. There could be a lot of reasons for that. Ask your doctor if they are concerned or not. If they aren't then relax and enjoy your pregnancy. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• She wants me to do me gestational diabetes test mid june. She has me all set up for that.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• She wants me to do my- I meant
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Good. Until then restrict your carb intake. Stick with whole grains. And cut out sweets and high carb snacks.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It could just be baby's position. I was measuring 2-3 weeks "behind" for a couple of months, then it changed (in one office visit) to 1-2 weeks "ahead", just because my baby moved.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh and hubby is 6ft tall and I am 5'0" my other 2 girls were very long at birth 20 and 3/4 and 21 and a 1/4
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I had that happen with my second, but at the following visit he was measuring closer to "normal". Don't buy into the myth that your baby could be too big to birth. Unless there are other health concerns, it is not enough reason alone to justify extreme interventions like a planned c-section. Also keep in mind that the measurements taken via ultrasound at 20 weeks are the most accurate measurements you can get. The measurements taken closer to your due date can be up to 2 pounds off in either direction! It doesn't sound like anything to get worried about, and If your care provider starts sounding an alarm, find out why. Other than that, proceed as normal.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 1:51 PM on May. 25, 2011