Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a place you can call to report someone who may be mentally ill?

Everyone has something wrong with them. However, I had an experience with a childhood friend who I had stay with me for almost 2 years to help her "get back on her feet". Her parents met in a psychiatric institution, her mother was labeled paranoid schizophrenic and it turned out so where her mother's sisters, her mother's one brother a pedophile, grandfather also schizophrenic. Although I was under the impression she suffered with anxiety and depression (undoubtedly), I tried to make the living situation work out of sympathy. I only lasted a little under 2 years before I asked her to leave. The experience has left me flabbergasted and almost traumatized.

I used to come home to her in her room screaming and throwing tantrums (unaware I was home). She cried on a daily basis, very strong jealousies and even paranoia. She contacted friends about fears that I was drinking and smoking, an idea which for me came out of nowhere since I do neither. She also forgot or just denies she had ever had a homosexual relationship back in her teens. I found that some of my shoes which she called "whore shoes" (shoes made by Madden, Jessica Simpson, etc) punctured repeatedly with what looks like a pen. It makes me wonder if she's potentially violent.

I wonder if there are any government, state or non-profit services where she can be seen and possibly treated?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Health

Answers (9)
  • Call the county department of mental health services.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • adult protective services...

    Answer by girlglow6 at 1:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • There isnt really anyone you call only if she is a threat to herself or others right now.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • You can call for a wellcheck but if she is not a threat like I said before they will not take her just offer services.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • She can get Bakeracted (by calling the cops) if she is a harm to herself or others...otherwise they cannot force treatment on her.

    Answer by happymama02 at 2:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • No, not unless she breaks the law. I have family which has tried to force commitment on me more than once. But since I have not broken any laws and am over 18, there is nothing that they can do... IF she breaks the law, and you are a family member, you can petition a judge for an order of commitment which will force her to enter a physicality or get help. But otherwise, there is nothing you can do besides encourage her.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • instead of reporting it, find the help for her
    reporting it wont really find her the help it will just be reported and thats it
    there is alway help out there, its up to you both to talk about it and find it

    Answer by Liz4Life at 2:35 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • Let me know, I'd sending them my husband!

    Answer by mommerbean at 6:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

  • You basically can't do anything to get treatment for her unless you are her legal guardian and she is a threat to herself or others. Puncturing shoes, although disturbing for sure, will not convince a judge she is dangerous. If you are afraid of her, distance yourself.

    Answer by blackisbetter at 6:57 AM on May. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.