DD wants to invite child and I can't stand mom? **UPDATE**

My DD's birthday party is coming up and when compiling the list of attendees, she mentions a little girl whose mother and I DO NOT like each other. The girls are not that great of friends and rarely see each other (now that soccer is over -- YAY). The girl is sweet, but again, the mother just grates on my nerves and we tend to just avoid each other. (So she probably wouldn't come anyway). Would you invite the child?
Please save the bashing, just wanting honest opinions!

You guys talked me into it -- We are sending out her invite BEFORE I change my mind!!   Want to bet she doesn't show?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 2:01 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would go ahead and let her invite her. You said she probably won't come anyway right?
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes I would invite her. This is about what your child would like. And if she doesn't come, you were the better person for having invited her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• When my oldest son was old enough to help with the list of guests,I let him invite who he chose reguardless of my feelings towards one of the kids parents.I just bit my tongue,lol. Its thier party anyway,right? The mom probably wont come anyway.Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would invite her if your daughter would like her there. I am sure there will be other parents there, so you wouldn't need to act like you are friends or so. Just say hello and be polite. Be the stronger one.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 2:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• UGH! I knew you guys would all say that --- lol
    You're right though -- just keep fingers crossed she dont show!
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is your daughter old enough to have a party where the parents don't have to stay? If so, I'd make it clear on the invitations that it's a drop-off party and frame it so that it's like you're giving all of the other moms a break while their kids will be taken care of and have fun. That way, you don't offend anyone, you make your little girl happy, and earn some brownie points with your fellow moms for giving them some "me" time.

If your daughter is not old enough for a drop-off kind of party, then I'd say invite the child anyway. You'll be too busy working the party to really have time to interact with her mom anyway. Good luck!
    Writemommy1023

Answer by Writemommy1023 at 2:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, I'd invite her. I can tolerate a parent I'm not so keen on for a couple hours to help foster a good friendship between the kids. I am friends with some of my kids' friends' parents, but with some of them we are just aquaintences. I don't have to like the parents or be friends with them for our kids to be friends.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Well dang! Guess I will find no-one on my side here! Already figures that, but thought I would try! Lol!
    Great advice, everyone
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yeah I would invite her. She probably wont show and Im kind of a sucker for my kids in that aspect ...lol
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 2:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• this is crappy situation us moms just have to deal with. but if you can make it a drop off pick up party that would be best way to deal. you put right on invite drop off 2:00pm pick up 6:00pm and if you are having parents stay.. make sure your bff is there :) best friends can keep us sane :) best of luck
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 2:25 PM on May. 25, 2011