When painting or changing something big or small in your house....

do you think about the value this can add or take away from your home? For an example, I heard that painting your cabinets black, takes away from the value of your home, where as if you painted them white it will add to your value. Do you consider this or do you just go with what you love and want.

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 2:02 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i'd go with what you like, chances are when/if you sell it they will change something anyway, or you can give a discount of several hundred for painting...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't have to give it much thought. I tend to pick really expensive upgrades, just because I like them. We've put $40,000 into this house, and although I know I won't see all of that back, I do know I've made this house more desirable and probably increased the value by a lot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We've done both ... done what we like and also have done things based on resale. With our first home, we knew we'd be there less than 7 years so we kept things pretty neutral and clean (and even more importantly, immaculate and in great working order). Paid off when it came time to sell; potential buyers loved the neutrality of it because they could easily envision the changes they'd like to make.

We've been a bit more creative in our current home. We know we're here for the long-haul so we've made changes to our liking. Again, regardless of style, I think the more important factor is maintaining the house ... a savvy buyer will not be scared off by things that are easily changeable like paint.
    Anonymous

• Awesome JulieJacobKyle... =D I want to paint a random wall thats in our kitchen with Chalkboard paint, but my husband said it will effect our resell value. We aren't moving any time soon! LOL
    staceybelly9

Comment by staceybelly9 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Well, paint is such an easy fix, I wouldn't worry about it. In our first house, I painted the kitchen a cool green color, but when it was time to sell, I took a couple of hours and painted it again, this time a neutral light silver that complimented the rest of the house. That house sold in three days. Paint is such a temporary thing, I say do what you want because it's so easy to change down the road.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• For big, permanent or semi-permanent things (remodelling, replacing cabinets & systems), we thought about how it would affect resale value. For smaller, easily replaced things (like paint colors) we didn't worry about it and just did what we liked.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I go with what I want
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We just purchased our 1st home and are going through the same thing. We decided since we will be here at least another 4 years to go ahead and go crazy in the boys rooms and paint the dining room very dark romantic colors, but do neutrals everywhere else. Also got new appliances, more for me to be happy using them than anything else!
    Cristl_2000

Answer by Cristl_2000 at 2:28 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'd do something I love. You're going to be living with it, so why paint or decorate to go around if/when you're going to sell your house???
    Right now, we'd have to repaint half the house just to resell, I've got RED walls in our bedroom and a merlot color in our family room.
    I'd NEVER paint my cupboards white. Yuck! They'd not stay white for very long.

I've always wanted to try out the chalkboard paint.
    I say GO FOR IT!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• With paint, I don't worry about it, since we'll paint the whole house when it's time to sell.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:40 PM on May. 25, 2011