My family

I go in 2 weekends a month usually to see my parents, which is an hour & half drive. My aunt suggested them to come and see me a few weekends ago since I always drive over there. My mom said, Well I don't know what that was all about! Then, my dad had a week off from work this past week and they wouldn't come to see me "because they wanted to go to church while he was off". I feel like I have no support when it comes to my parents, my aunt and uncle drive 4hrs away every other weekend to see their children and grandchildren and my parents won't give up 1 day to come in see us because their going to church. I agree with attending church, but they can't even take out the time to come see us really bothers me, when I come over every other weekend to see them... I kind of feel like their being selfish.

mszh2010

Asked by mszh2010 at 2:16 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Relationships

Level 3 (-1 Credits)
  • It does sound like they are being selfish. I would stop going to see them as often, they can just as easily come to see you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't go over there. When they ask why, tell them it's their turn to make the trip. Don't let them manipulate you.
    sweetiepye2004

Answer by sweetiepye2004 at 2:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The road goes both ways. Do what you can, when you can and as you want to. Don't feel guilty about your decisions either, sometimes family turns out to be not what we want them to be. Just take a step back and re evaluate what you want out fo the relationship with your parents and what they want, and decide if it's something you can live with. Alot of people see the children who moved away as the ones who are obligated to come back to visit especially when they move out of town.
    Don't beat yourself up about all of this, and don't kill yourself trying to be the only one in the relationship working on it. You'll only be frustrated and exhausted, and they won't even notice.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• so don't go the 2 weekends a month. do only one and then once every two months. i mean the whole week they are going to church.seriously.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Seriously.... Their going to different churches and etc. Last weekend I went to a birthday party on Sautruday over there, my mom said I needed to stop by before they left for church. She didn't evn care I planned on going to this party for a few weeks, needless to say I didn't get there u til 5:30 and they didn't go to church.
    mszh2010

Comment by mszh2010 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I can't stay the night with them, because their house is small and they only have a twin bed in my old room.
    mszh2010

Comment by mszh2010 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with the others, there is no reason why YOU have to be the only one traveling to visit! The roadways do go both ways- meaning it would not kill them to visit you once in a while. Do they ever have a reason why they can't drive to your house? I would stop going there until they compromise and agree to do some of the traveling. Also - I would not go every weekend, I would go maybe once a month or so-- when it is convenient for me.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:18 PM on May. 25, 2011