How old should a child be...?

When a child has nausea, you hope that they will make it into the bathroom to throw up. At what age would you expect a child to be able do figure this out?

DD has Aspergers.  She very smart, almost all A's in school.   I would expect that this is an area where she wouldn't be all that delayed in being able to handle.  She's thrown up twice in the past few months on the carpet next to where she was.  One time, I had given her a bucket to throw up in and she left it about 6 feet away from her bed.  Today it happened as she was gettingdressed in her room.  She hadn't made the slightest effort to get to the bathroom.  She's 14 and a freshman in HS...and she expects me to clean up her carpet.

JSD24

Asked by JSD24 at 2:20 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• every person is diffrent. My 3 year old oviously can't, but my 6 year old who just turned 6 a few weeks ago was sick back in December so at the time she was 5.5 she made it to the bathroom every time, but one time. Me on the other hand at 29 years old I still can't make it to the bathroom lol. If I am sick I actually have to put a trash can right in front of the bed because I know I wont make it and my bathroom isn't very far from the bedroom either.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:30 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Some people don't get any warning they're about to vomit. If your daughter is one of them, she won't make it to the bathroom.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It is differant for everyone so that in mind I would like to say , of course you want them to throw up in the right place but even adults who are functionally normal cannot always do this so do not expect too much .With the whole time thing no dr could probably answer that , my son is autistic and with that in mind I know somethings he learns easy some things take forever, some they may not ever master.Moms are supposed to have the dirty jobs its just part of being a mom in my opinion, especially a mom of a special needs child.
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 5:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• SOmetimes you vomit without warning. This is not a fun feeling at all. I think at the age of 14 your daughter is old enough to clean up after herself. Accidents do happen maybe they will happen less if she clean up her mess.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 6:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm 26 and still cant make it to the bathroom. I seriously have no warning when its gonna happen.
    However at 14 unless she is severely ill,like need to go to the ER sick, I would expect her to clean up any mess and be responsible for keeping a trash can close enough to use.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 6:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No matter what age your child is there may be times that she can't make it to the bathroom.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 6:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My 4 year old made it to the bathroom when she was 3 but didn't make it last time she was sick because it came up to fast. Most of the time I will make it but there are still times I don't.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My new 3-year-old could make it to the toilet or trash can if I showed him where it was and it didn't come on too fast.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yeah sometimes it has no warnign and does not wait. It isn't like she is doing it on purpose to make you more work Mama...give the poor girl a break.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 10:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it's different for everyone but if I had to put a number on it I would say 10 or so.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 10:43 PM on May. 25, 2011