How can I stop carpenter bees from boring holes into our play set?

We have these bees and they are making huge holes in our play set. It's not a cheap set, so we can't afford to replace it if it falls down b/c of these stupid creatures. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Your best bet is to call an exterminator. Short of that, you can plug existing holes and paint the set, since they prefer unfinished wood.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:39 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You have to seal the wood with an outdoor varnish and seal the holes that they've already made with caulk.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Call an exterminator.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:38 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would seal that swing set up.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You need to use insecticide dust. These include sevin dust, delta dust, borid and drione. Youll need to get something with a long stem on it so that you can put the dust insecticide in the holes. Leave the holes open for a couple of days so the bees have a chance to get in the dust and spread it to all colonies. Then after a couple of days close up the holes with putty, caulking, or cork. You should also paint the structure when you are done. Keep an eye on it as well.. because a new colony might find the structure a perfect place to live, as well.
    I found this on ehow a while ago when a friend of mine was having issues with it. It worked for her.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would seal it up
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We had this problem at our old house. Those dang carpenter bees make perfect holes too don't they? I actually blamed my son for them thinking he was playing with my drill. We did everything and the only thing that worked was calling an exterminator.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• exterminator
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 11:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yeah exterminator, I would also seal the holes and paint
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:36 AM on May. 26, 2011

• Yeah I would call someone to help.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:54 PM on May. 26, 2011