Got any breastfeeding tips for a small baby?

Just came home with my son. He was born at 37 weeks and weighed 5 lbs 5 oz. I planned on exclusively breastfeeding but I have been supplementing very little to keep him from losing too much weight. He has been doing pretty good with eating but does have trouble latching on and will also have to be coaxed a lot when he is given the supplement in a bottle. My milk hasn't come in fully yet, and he is trying to BF but won't latch on completely. He has been pretty much slightly suckling on each breast for a while while I squeeze out the colostrum. I'm fairly certain his latch will improve as time goes on and when my milk comes completely in. Any tips for improving his latch and getting him to suck and for getting my milk to come in quicker?

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 2:30 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pumping to help your milk come in and try a shield to help with his latch
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:35 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Babies are meant to lose weight at birth. Supplementing won't bring in your milk faster. Nursing baby will. get rid of all the bottles and formula and NURSE! as long as he gains back his weight by two weeks from his LOWEST weight(whatever his weight was when he came home.) And after produces good amounts of wet dirty diapers. I suggest you go to www.llli.org and find an LC in your area and then head on over to the breastfeeding group where they can help immensly.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 2:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Gen

Answer by Gen at 2:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think you are doing a great job. Its frustrating, but just keep it up. Join a support group. THere is a great breastfeeding group that is very active. Just go to groups and search breastfeeding. Also if you have facebook, check out "the leaky b@@b" great online support!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• First... her's expected to lose ten percent of birthweight... even more if you got a lot of IV fluids or had a c-section. Expect him to lose about nine ounces from birth weight if a vaginal delivery without IV fluids. Don't stress too much about the weight loss. Count the dipes. And drop the supplements... they can hurt supply and make baby refuse the breast.

Just put baby on the breast, leave him there... you really will do fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Best thing you can do is quit supplementing - quit giving him the bottle at all. The colostrum you have is all he needs right now - he's never had anything in his tummy, it's so tiny he doens't need much for the moment. If he's getting colostrum, you're doing good. Keep putting him to the breast and he'll get it - just work with him, help his little mouth so he latches right.
    Anonymous