Invasion of Privacy

I am interviewing potential sitters for my 7 yr old and 6 month old. Do you think it's an invasion of privacy to ask for their ICE, allergies/medical conditions or make/model/plate number of their vehicle?

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 2:37 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's an invasion of privacy to ask about that stuff, I think it's responsible parenting.Go for it mommy. Maybe look up and find out if you can ask about medical conditions... I would think it is relevant to know.
    lisalmeyer86

Answer by lisalmeyer86 at 3:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i would hope you do a background check especially when watching your children and references. they have to understand that. make them aware that you are doing a background check and checking their references and if they don't want you to then you know they aren't worth your time and are responsible enough to watch your children
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think it's illegal to ask about medical conditions. I don't know what ICE is. I don't think it's unreasonable to get their vehicle info.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• ICE is "in case of emergency" info. If they were to be hurt or something, who would I call for them? And I wouldn't think it would be illegal to know if the person caring for your children has a serious allergy or medical condition that could potentially keep them from caring for my kids.
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Of course get emergency contact, and yes the vehicle info. Asking about medical conditions is illegal under the Americans with Disablities Act.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes its illegal to ask about allergies etc.......but I would anyways. Def. ask for vehicle info and I would also do a background check.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Can't ask about medical history. You can ask if the person for ICE AFTER you hire the person. Why would you need vehicle info? If they are transporting your children, I would request proof of insurance.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Sounds reasonable to me. Good luck in your search!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:45 PM on May. 25, 2011