Clingy 7 month old getting worse...

My 7 month old son Logan is very clingy to me and has severe Seperation anxiety and the dr told me that.
It all started when he was 4months old and wanted nobody but mommy to hold, change, feed, get ready for bed and he is still like that.
Now he is 7months old and i can't even leave a room without him following me, and so i have to shut our baby gate just so i can go to the bathroom. Even when i am in the living room with him and sitting on the couch watching him and his older brother play i move to the other side of the couch and can't see me he screams bloddy murder. Then when i say Logan mommy is here see me, or i am back, my voice and him looking at me is not enough, i litterally have to pick him up.
Daddy is in the picture and works from 5am-2pm and really has never fed him, played with him, cuddled him, woke up with him in the morning or to even comfort him if he is sick, daddy rarely changes Logans diaper because Logan screams for me.
the dr told me that daddy has to step up and give me a break since the only break i get is when he goes down for his morning nap and afternoon nap.
I have an older son to attend to also and it is so hard to attend to my 3 year old when Logan is attached to me 24-7.

And to make matters worse Logan was up all night last night, I went in at 10pm and gave him some Infants Advil for infants 6months to 23months old and that last up to 8hrs. He fell back to sleep and within an hr later he was back up screaming. So around midnight i went back up and triend giving him a bottle to see if maybe he was hungry since he threw up because he ate to fast and too much, so i thought maybe he was hungry. He was not hungry so i just left him in there and just listend to him for the rest of the night. At 5am i went in and got him since i didn't want him to wake up his brother with his screaming, and when i got him he was very hot. SO i took his temp under the arm and it was 100.5 and u add a degree so he was at 101.5. then i gave him Tylnol and called an on call dr. She said to call in the morning and make an appt if it doesn't go down within 4hrs. Logan fell asleep until 7:30am and i gave him his bottle, and checked his temp and it didn't go down. So i called and made an appt. took him there, and somehow his fever dropped. the dr still looked him over and can't find the cause for his high fever this morning, but she did tell me if it keeps up i need to take him back so they can reexam him. So she said he is not sick.
He is down for his nap now, so hopefully he sleeps his normal 4hr nap and wakes up refreshed and all better.
any suggestions on how to slowly get him out of this severe seperation anxiety and what may have caused his so high fever?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:38 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok my son was exactly the same.. but colic mixed in there and all day fussing anyway- The only thing that actually bonded Dad and Baby was that My DH worked tuesdays through fridays so Monday, he HAD to watch our son - he also wanted to but it was hard for him because he lacks in the patience area- I had a hard time LETTING him try when I was home with him so had they not had that forced day to get to know each other and form their own bond, I think I'd be in the same boat.. I say on Sat you and the older son go out and do something, anything but get away and basically Force the bond.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Sounds like he is teething.

For my Dd I got her used to a comfort object- a blanket w silk trim. Whenever I picked her up or nursed her I would make sure the silkie blanket was by her. She is now 15 mos old and super attached to her blanket, but St least I can get sone relief throughout the day. It's all about giving baby some tangible object that they can use to control their love and self soothing. We use 2 similar blankets so there is always one available if the other is in the wash or gets lost (hopefully this doesnt happen). Good luck! Hope this helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• To Bloomsr- He has his 2 snugglie blankies, i give him one of them, and he has to have me, and he blankie, he can't just have the blankie.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:54 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The only thing you can do about the separation anxiety is wait. He has to outgrow it.

Has he had shots lately? How about teething? That will increase clinginess. Teething misery can be there without a single sign othjer than crankiness and drool.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• to fdimmante- no he has not had shots recently
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 5:53 PM on May. 25, 2011