C-Sec moms,

What was it like as soon as you left the hospital? What was your recovery like? Did you have problems walking or anything?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 2:41 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• routine c-section, left the hospital after 3 days, and i was in pain no matter what i did. sleeping, walking, sitting, showering... it's a major surgery. i had difficulty doing most things since everything you do involves your abdominal muscles... however i was given oxycodone, which i'm allergic to, and when i told the hospital i wouldn't take it, they offered me tylenol 3... i was so pissed i told them to stuff it lol... so i was without any pain medication. i'm sure it'd be much better with some kind of painkiller.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 2:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I had 3 of them...one in my early 20's and 2 in my LATE ...Late 30's. Walking was fine...I just help a small pillow on the incision for a day or two because it just felt better. Do not over do it!!! I, who tends to do just that, started with a VERY heavy bleed for a few days because I decided cleaning my house and going places doing errands, was a good idea. Just enjoy that precious blessing for a good week and you will be fine :)
    joinTStoday

Answer by joinTStoday at 2:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It hurt, it took me 13 hourse to get up and start walking in the hospital baby steps, i mean it gets easer as the time passes. i had a surgery liek that before but it was alil easier this time, i started working and going to work three weeks after delivery.
    Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 2:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I had a scheduled c-section, with no complications. I was holding my baby the moment they were done stitching me back up (before that, they took her to get bathed, and daddy went with her, and got some extra special skin on skin bonding with her). I was up walking 12 hours later. When you first stand up, you will feel like an old lady, and you will fear your stitches ripping open... they wont. Just take it slow. I stood up, with help, and stood there for a few minutes. then i tried a step, a baby step.. and within an hour, i was standing up and walking just fine. I took my pain meds every 4 hours, and I took it slow and safe. I asked for help with everything the first few days, just getting up is a challenge! But I just enjoyed my baby, and didnt have any problems, or pain at all. My recovery was a breeze, and i hope the same for you!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Not to scare you but it was like I had been run over by a truck. C-sections have become all too routine but don't forget that it is still MAJOR surgery. You have to take it super easy ... I passed out my first day home after taking 3 steps trying to get to the bathroom. No stairs, no heavy lifting, don't get up unless you have help for those first few days. I can't imagine feeling like that AND having to take care of a baby at the same time (my daughter had to stay behind in the NICU). My first child was delivered vaginally and I'd take 10 of those vs. 1 c-section any day. Oh, and while my incision didn't hurt much and healed rather quickly, for at least 7 years after my c-section, I could still feel it ... not painful, but it always let me know it was there (though much of the area surrounding the incision is actually numb).

Anonymous

• My first I didn't use ANY pain meds even though I had prescriptions for vicodin and tylenol III. I was paranoid about aking them and breastfeeding though.
    To be honest I was fine most of the day. The hardest part was getting in/out of bed and up and down from a sitting position. That was when I was 20.
    My 2nd csection was harder on me. I did call the nurses to ask for my pain meds while I was there but I relied on motrin when I got home and it helped a little, but not as much as the percs
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My first SUCKED! I was in labor for 36 hours first so I hurt from head to toe from pushing and them the surgery. It took me a couple of weeks for my chest to stop hurting(from pushing 'wrong') though my incision site felt okay after about 5 days. With my second I was fine after about 4-5 days. With both it took a while to get my stamina back up but they is more than likely normal after any delivery.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm not having one, a friend of mine is...it sounds like she requested it to be done...for those moms that had csec, do you wish you could have had a vag birth instead?
    Apr1l

Comment by Apr1l (original poster) at 3:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh! I was in the hospital for 3 days post op with DS and 4 days with DD. they offered me an extra day since I had a 3 year old at home and a 2 story house. It took them up on the offer. I could have left as early as day 2, 3 was average 4 was bonus for me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I was in the hospital for 3 days, was out and about (carefully) less than a week after birth to show my son off, and went on vacation 4.5 hours away when he was a week old. It hurt at first, of course, especially when coughing/laughing/sneezing (pressing a pillow to the incision area helps). And when first starting to walk around, I wanted to do it hunched over because it hurt to stand up straight. But I didn't have any major difficulties. The key is to get up and walking around as soon as possible, but not to overdo it (which is especially easy to do while taking pain pills because you don't necessarily feel the effects of activity right away).

And yes, I wish I'd at least tried to have a vaginal birth (my doctors scared me into scheduling a C-section). If nothing else, I would like to have known how difficult it would be to find someone willing to attend a vaginal birth the next time around. (I did get a VBAC.)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:09 PM on May. 25, 2011