Do you ever wish you could go back in time and talk to yourself before you had kids?

Reading a recent post reminds me of something I catch myself doing lately... wishing I could go back and do things different with parenting.

What parenting stratagies do you wish you could have done differently?

a few (yes only a few) of mine are...

I wish I would have not spanked my kids. It doesn't work as well as I was sooo convinced it would back then, and I've found easier, better ways of discipline.

I wish I would have understood breastfeeding better so that I could have nurse my kids longer.

I wish I could go back and tell myself that there is NO WAY to be the perfect parent, and that I would burn myself out if I didn't change my perspective and relax.

I wish I could have told myself to grow a frigging spine and not allow people (relatives) to push me around or undermine me as a parent... took forever to get to the point where they now know to back off.

And I'll be honest, knowing what I know now (not claiming that as much, I'm still really young), I wish younger moms would take the time to listen to older moms advice and really take it to heart. I really wish I would have done that 7 yrs ago.

How about you?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 3:01 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I wouldn't talk myself out of having my daughter but i would tell myself not to marry her father just because i got pregnant.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• kayslay, when you see young moms getting married because they are pregnant, do you get frustrated, do you wish you could just talk some sense into them? Not saying that all marriages that start out that way, end badly, however it seems I see it turn sour more often then not.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The only thing I would have done differently was to have had a larger family. My husband and I both regret that we only had 3 children. I was pregnant a fourth time which resulted in a miscarriage.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would have spent more time with my oldest instead of hiding myself in the computer all the time. I spend more time with her now than I do on the computer, but I wish I had done it when she was a baby.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• "kayslay, when you see young moms getting married because they are pregnant, do you get frustrated, do you wish you could just talk some sense into them"

I encourage people in that situation to wait a while. If it's meant to be it will still be meant to be in a year or two.. but i sort of know better than to expect them to listen. I didn't =/ I hope that their situations turn out different than mine.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with talking sence into girls who get married because they are pregnant, the biggest regret i have is being selfish and staying up late and sleeping in. I found that ME time souldn't impact the time with the little ones it just took me awhile to find out what to do.
    alainalee

Answer by alainalee at 3:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, I would.......I would still have him, but I think I would have made better choices.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:30 PM on May. 25, 2011

• There are many things I would have changed.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:52 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes, there are a few things I would have done differently..... and I would have listened to my gut instinct and gotten my oldest diagnosed with Autism sooner!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yes. I would tell myself to finish college first. My then husband would have waited for me. I only had two years left to finish and I got marreid and had kids first. I will finally graduate this December. Even though it has taken this long to finish, it was well worth the wiat.
    smightygood

Answer by smightygood at 4:22 PM on May. 25, 2011