Potty trouble with 3 year old?

My 3 year old son Haiden is potty trained in the day and only needs pull up for nap and bedtime.
But for the last month he won't go number 2 on the toilet. He complains his tummy hurts and when i say Haiden why don't u try go poopy on the potty, then ur tummy won't hurt no more. He says ok and sits on the potty for like 2mins and says he is better. So i assume he went, i go and clean his little hiny up to come find he didn't even go. SO when it is nap time i have him go pee and try to get him to go poop in the potty. He goes pee but won't poop. When nap time is over i go get him and come to find he pooped in his pull up. I ask him why did u go poop in the pull up but not in the potty. He says because he can't poop in the potty. I ask him why but he won't give me an answer.
He may have constipation problems that we are still trying to figure out, but don't u think if it hurts to even go in the potty it would hurt to go in his pull up.
And now he is waking up wet from his nap too even though he goes pee in the potty. I have told him that only babies poop and pee in their pants, and u pooping and peeeing in ur pants so do u need diapers. He says no me no like diapers, and me 3. I always ask him i know ur 3 and but why are u going in the bathroom in ur pants. He never gives me an answer.
He does have a 7month old brother and only acts jealous if someone is playing with his brother instead of him.
what do u ladies think and how can i get him to stop this or do u think i need to talk to his Dr about it?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 3:04 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would increase his daily Fiber gram intake to 7grams minimum and make sure its at least that daily. That solved my sons constipation issues. What potty are you asking him to use? My son went through the small starter one, he hated it, wouldn't use it, then we tried a potty seat on the big toilet, nope, wouldn't poop either, Pee no problem - poop - no way.. then we tried letting him use it without an extra potty seat on the big one - that was a no go too - he didn't feel sterdy enough - he FINALLY vocalized he didn't like the Feel of the potty seat, it was too hard. we bought an extra cushioned one for the seat and it was like heaven on his tush I guess because we haven' had a problem since. As far as the naps and bedtime, I dont' have advice, it was probably the only thing my son took up without issue
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It sounds like jealousy to me.
    I know when my boy potty trained, he was scared to poop in the potty and said it hurt.

Have you tried rewards? I did a sticker chart and told him if he pooped every day in his potty he could get a toy ($5 - a small one) at the end of the week.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 3:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Maybe he is regressing a bit becasue of his new brother!!! My son will be 3 in June & is finally (after mnths of being potty trained) letting me know when he needs to poop. There for awhile he would always go while in his room right i before I was awake or during naptime (I am not suer if it was while awake or not tho). We make a very special deal out of pooping on the potty chair! I do a little dance! He gets to call his Grammy, daddy at work, Auntie, WHOMEVER he wants to!!!! My mom, in order to try to help out, even makes a very small little reward bag! Do you have anyone that would help you lout like that? It is frustrating, I know! Eventually he will get the hang of it!
    I have never done this but it worked for my friend- her son wouldn't poop on the potty chair & instead would go in his pants. She handed him the wet wipes & had him clean himself! He was so grossed out that that only happened twice before he was trained
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Take a break from potty training for a while. It sounds like constipation/straining issues. Take the anxiety and fear out of the equation by just allowing him to do what makes him comfortable I.e standing to make a b.m. Once you get the constipation under control, then do the 3 day potty training method, it is fast and effective. In the meantime, get him on some probiotics and digestive enzymes supplements as well as increasing his water intake and boost his fiber intake. He should be getting 5 grams + an additional gram per year of age per day. Cut out juice and excess sugar intake. This will help the constipation problem without depending on Miralax. If it doesn't, then you may have to do an elimination diet to find out why the constipation has become a problem. Could be a dairy, gluten or wheat problem.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 3:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My daughter is six and would only dirty at night since it hurt to go during the day time. Been to a specialist and she does have kindey problems and to do mirlax and add more fiber to her diet. Also to use a reward program and to even use a stool when they go and that helps. I would try to get him checked out to rule out a problem. I give my girls mirlax each night at dinner and even give her those fiber gummies since doctor also said good for her. Also to cut back on dairy products as well. I give her lacotose milk and limit things like ice cream and cheese to bad for them as well. Mine still wets her night time pull up yet and sometimes will when getting a bladder infection which can block her colon. I would have him seen with your doctor to see if anything would help your son.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It sounds just like my cousin's daughter - she's 3 and will pee in the toilet but she won't poop. My oldest DD was the same way, maybe he just needs a little more time. If you're concerned about constipation problems maybe call his doctor and discuss it with him. Good Luck.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Does he see you wen you change the baby? Are you talk happily to the baby when you change him? If so, your older son may be interpreting it as going in his pants makes you happy. My nephew backtracked on the potty when his brother was born. If it continues for a time or gets worse, you may want to talk to the doctor just to make certain that there is not an issue causing it.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 3:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If he tries to hold his poop in it will make it harder and more difficult (and painful) for him to poop!!! Make sure he is getting plenty of water!!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Have you tried a reward? My son loves cars so he got a matchbox car if he pooped in the potty. Did the trick (but admittedly, we never had any constipation problems). I would avoid making too big a deal out of this since that will make the problem worse. Just calmly keep trying. Make sure to offer encouragement when he stays dry and uses the potty (even if it's just to pee).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:52 PM on May. 26, 2011