Is Planned Parenthood so important to Obama that he would sacrifice the poor?

WASHINGTON, D.C., May 24, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The Obama administration is not happy with Indiana for being the first state to defund Planned Parenthood. According to reports, the administration is considering taking away the state’s Medicaid money in retaliation.

Pro-life Gov. Mitch Daniels recently signed into law a measure that bars state agencies from entering into contracts with abortion providers, aside from hospitals. The law also bans abortion past 20 weeks gestation, with an exception for the life or physical health of the mother.

The law effectively cuts Planned Parenthood off from approximately $3 million in state family planning funds, unless the state organization divides into separate independent affiliates that have nothing to do financially with abortion-providing affiliates.

The New York Times reports that federal officials are considering withholding some or all of the state’s Medicaid money in order to pressure the state to allow the nation’s largest abortion provider to tap into family planning funds.

The Times reports that the administration has 90 days to take action.

The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said in a statement approved by the White House: “Federal law prohibits federal Medicaid dollars from being spent on abortion services. Medicaid does not allow states to stop beneficiaries from getting care they need — like cancer screenings and preventive care — because their provider offers certain other services. We are reviewing this particular situation and situations in other states.”

Marcus J. Barlow, representing the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, pointed out to the Times, however, that the state was not cutting off funds for family planning services. “It’s a change in providers,” he explained, observing that clients of Planned Parenthood could go to other non-abortion providing clinics for those services.

Bioethicist Wesley J. Smith posed the question on his blog: “Is PP so important to Obama that he and his HHS Secretary are willing to materially hurt poor people by cutting off Medicaid funding to try and leverage restored funding for PP?”

“So long as those services are available, what business is it to the Feds which facilities provide them? Or, are we to believe that PP has a right to receive public money?” he said.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/obama-administration-threatens-indiana-over-defunding-planned-parenthood

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:11 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wait til tomorrow when he visits a poor district dependent on Medicare and he'll have a different story.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• OK, tell me where else I could have gone to get free birth control at 16, because PP is the only one I know of.
    I'm not for Obama, but in this case I agree with him.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:15 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is this a rhetorical question?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:15 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Of course he would. He is self-serving and would do anything to get his way. So much for his idea of health care all around! This shows where he truly stands.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

That's just it - he's still safely out of the country. The only citizens he's seeing this week are wealthy ex-pats living abroad and willing to make huge donations.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Indiana has NOT cut low income people off from family planning (that are legally funded by Federal Gov't)

Indianians can still receive services, just not at Planned Parenthood, right?

Why does the Fed get to dictate to a state which facilities in which states get to perform specific services?

Does Obama really think that PP has a right and is entitled to receive public money?

Progressive Bull Sh#t...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Just more of his strong arm tactics to states that aren't following lockstep with his agenda. Texas is feeling his wrath and now Indiana, I wonder which state will be next.

I can't believe people will agree with doing this, but I know there will be some.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:23 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Indianians can still receive services, just not at Planned Parenthood, right?

I live in a county with 2 medium-sized towns. Between them, I know of 6 places off the top of my head that offer similar services and aren't PP. One of them is the Medicaid clinic that advertises, offering free or low cost care to people whether they have medicaid or not - they work on a sliding scale based on your income level. If he defunds Medicaid, he's essentially defunding one of the alternatives to PP, which pretty much proves he doesn't give jack shit about family planning health care, only his lobby money (a sizeable chunk of which comes from PP).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

A health clinic. Did you even attempt to locate somewhere or just assume PP is the only place around. I got free birth control as a teen at a free clinic inside one of our government centers. We have several of them. I don't know anyone who has ever been to PP, everyone uses the clinics.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Did you even attempt to locate somewhere or just assume PP is the only place around.

Going to bet my money on the later. At 16, my friends and I knew how to use a phone book. Is it suddenly a lost art?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on May. 25, 2011