• In the Spotlight:

Breastfeeders.... ex weed smokers...?

If you used to enjoy a 'smoke' every now and then - but have since had a baby and are breastfeeding.... have you ever considered having ONE smoke (far away from where your baby is) - or have you done it? Or are you never going to smoke weed again?

Don't bash - I haven't, but the urge is strong - but I dont think I will.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used to yes but since having my child 7years ago havnt touched it but i do know a women who smoked her whole pregnancy and even during breastfeeding i dont recommend it but he baby seems normal lol.

Anonymous

• It is all up to you but if you smoke weed some will get into your breast milk. If it was me I would not do it well breastfeeding.
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• you can smoke, pot is not laced or processed with chemicals like cig's are. so there not as bad. but before you pick up that item in question up you should realize that if you get caught with it in your possion you can lose your child. i am not trying to bash you its a hard thing to put down especally when you enjoy the feelings it gives you and the calm. i understand i was there i just chose not to have it around me cause i dont want to have to worry bout that stuff. every state is different on what degree of penitaly u get so i would double check that before persuing anything. and make sure to stay under the feliony limit, if you chose that road. GL
    kikyu

Answer by kikyu at 6:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• i havent smoked since before i was pregnant and sometimes feel the urge now but i would never do it while i am still breastfeeding. Been breastfeeding for a year now and been sober from everything for two years...I like being sober..but I do get the urge now and then.

I may have it again when I am not breastfeeding but its not important to me and I wouldnt care if i never had it again.
    Anonymous

• I occasionally toke.. Not anything near what I used to before I was a mother - now a joint can last me an entire week. But yes, I do still do it.. But not during the day- only in the evenings, after the kiddos have bathed and are winding down.. I find it gives me more patience with them..

I wouldn't say I condone it, I by no means believe that marijuana is okay for a baby.. But, it's one of those things that I have personally weighed, and am alright with since I smoke in such small and sporadic doses.. I'd never argue that I'm not being selfish, though- I am. It is a completely self-fullfilling thing to do, and in no way good for my baby (babies, rather)..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:57 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I think smoking after you have kids, no matter what age they are is completely irresponsible!! Yes, will go through your breast milk to the baby. And yes weed can be laced with shit. You never know what the hell someone is selling you and it's becoming more and more common for weed to be laced with something. Don't do it, you had a kid now be a grown up and don't go back to acting childish by smoking pot. Just my opinion though...

Anonymous

• i used to smoke heavily before i became a mom...but after, i did, twice. Both times, yes, i guess i enjoyed it...but not nearly as much. i see it personally that i have a responsibility to my son to be there 24/7, and i don't ever want to be even slightly incapeable of attending his needs. i thought i'd always like weed, but now...i can do without. i don't at all bash mom's who do, i know one who does and is a wonderful parent and her daughter is perfectly fine. it just isn't for me aymore.
    Anonymous

• I smoked weed every SINGLE day before I got pregnant and havent done it once since the day I found out. God yes do I get urges, but I feel that it's wrong to do as a parent, and I probably will never do it again in my life because I cant limit myself with it, i'm an "all or nothing" type of person and i want to be the type of person that i'd like my daughter to grow up to be, a role model you might say, and I dont want her to grow up to be a pothead.

I dont think it's "right" to get high while your a parent, but i'm definitely not perfect, so it's not my place to judge.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I used to smoke a little before I found out I was pregnant with my second one (That's when I started smoking with my dh) but I completely stopped during the pregnancy and while breastfeeding. JMO, I think that babies are incredibly sensitive to things in the breast milk. Have you ever noticed that when you eat spicy food they tend to spit up not too long afterward? We have no idea on the effects of MJ and breast milk other than we know it passes and since it does it may have affects on the developing mind. As adults, our brains stop developing around 21-23 years old so I think that we shouldn't compromise their growing mind for something that we like to do. I'm deffienlty not bashing you here because I almost thought about smoking while breastfeeding but what stopped me was thinking about that. This should go for cig smokers too....I don't see the difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i havent smoked in over 2 years,but i know that it doesnt hurt ur baby,only if u like smoke everyday,im also nursing mom
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008