How do I get my 3 year old boy to brush his teeth!?!?!!

He's driving me insane. This morning we got into a little fight and I gave him a time out. I think I may have made it worse! but i just don''t know what to do anymore! I've tried everything ! Nothing seems to work ! uggggggh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep reminding him. Perhaps do a chart. When he remembers on his own he gets to do something special or gets a treat.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Get him a tooth brush that lights up and turn the light off when he brushes his teeth, so much fun for the little ones!!! But I always go back and brush them myself or else we would have allot of cavities lol.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:26 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The ones that light up are good, I've seen toothbrushes that play music for the duration of how long you should brush too.
    SMC112011

Answer by SMC112011 at 3:38 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I"ve bought every light up-colorful-charming tooth brushes, stilll he won't do it,
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Get a little chart and put a sticker on it for everytime he brushes without a fuss, 2 stickers if he remembers to do it himself. When he gets say 20 stickers, he gets a treat which can be anything from a new toy, a cookie, playing at a new park, a dollar, etc. Explain the ground rules to him first and display the chart where he can see it like in the living room. You can do this for othet things as well like using the potty, putting his dishes away, etc.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Then I would suggest just waiting till he is ready, dont push it anymore cause then theres not fun in it when you have mommy nagging you about it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:21 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My son is 4 and still wont' brush them by himself. We just do it for him since it has to be done. I assume he'll eventually want to do it himself! Not worth the fight in the meantime.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:48 PM on May. 26, 2011

• We tell our kids that only kids who brush their teeth get treats. If they decide not to do it or not to do a good job we don't fight with them about it, but for the entire next day they don't get any treats and can only drink water. This works really well with my daughter who loves milk and sweets. With my son, the "treats" he misses out on are apple juice and things like crackers and cheese since he's not really much of a sweet eater. I learned with my oldest that this was something I didn't want to turn into a battle or a power struggle.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:04 AM on May. 27, 2011

• i had a molar pulled because it broke and really was not fixable so now i tell my son to bush his teeth i tell him mommy got a hurt tooth that she did not take care of and the dentist pulled it, so i than tell him if he does not take care of his teeth and brush them the dentist will take a tooth like he took mommys now he likes to see where my tooth is missing and he brushs his teeth.... i ended up getting my son a batman tooth brush so maybe get a superhero tooth brush
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 7:08 PM on May. 30, 2011