My 3 year old boy won't go poop in the potty!!

He does peepee in the potty just FINE! and he doesn't need pull ups at night anymore, and he never wets his bed! Im thankful for that, the only problem is he refuses to go poop in the toilet, instead he gets a pull up and puts them on, and goes to a corner of the house somewhere and goes poop! it's so strange! I don't understand how he can go pee in the toilet just fine, but he won't go poop.. and OH MY GOD the smell is HORRID whenever i have to change his poop. Also I've tried NOT buying pull ups so he has no choice but the toilet, but he still won't do it, instead he holds it in until he forgets, then he gets constipated, i think that's even worse! i don't know what to do!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He will. GIve him time. My son, who turns 4 in June, just started pooping in the potty.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:30 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh em gee,my 3 yr.old daughter does the same thin. We buy what she calls poopy pampers.(reg diapers)
    pumpkinqueen33

Answer by pumpkinqueen33 at 3:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• GL and let me know if you figure it out cause my son is almost 4 1/2 and still gets a diaper to poop in but pees in the potty just fine. I asked my doc about it and he said that boys tend to do that allot and that he will grow out of it. My friend had a little boy that did the same thing untill he turned 4 and then finally started going poop in the toilet.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I had this same problem with my son at the same age. TALK with your boy about WHY he won't poop in the toilet.
    "(Insert name here) is there ANY thing about going potty that scares you?"
    shy nod
    "What?"
    "There are monsters in the toilet that are trying to get me when I poop."

Yep. We had potty monsters. LOL After getting that information, and some advice from a different mom's site I set up a step so he could safely get up to squat on the seat to poop. After showing him how, and making sure he was OK with the set up we NEVER had another poop in his pants.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Lol I"m glad I"m not the only one! hmm, I guess ill just have to give it some time!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Thats normal, kids are always more intimidated to poop on the potty. Just like most other things I'm sure he'll do it when he's ready.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My son did this too. We told my son he had to sit on the toilet wearing the pull up. Then my husband got the idea from someone to cut a hole in the bottom of the pull up, so that when our son went to the bathroom the poop would fall into the toilet. My son didn't notice the hole in the pull up and sat on the toilet and pooped. After that, even though he knew the hole was there, I guess it helped him feel secure, he kept wearing a pull up with the hole on the potty. After about a week, we finally got him to sit on the potty without the pull up.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:53 PM on May. 29, 2011