Cereal bottle

Have u ever but cereal in your babies bottles?
I have. When my 7 yr old was a baby he had really bad reflux. The dr. Suggested putting cereal in his bottle to thicken the milk

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 3:38 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it has been proven to be a sids risk. I think most doctors suggest other methods for dealing with reflux anymore...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Me, never... doc specifically said don't use cereal at all.

It should never be done UNLESS the doc recommends it; there are risks of aspiration and choking.

On a related note... the FDA has just put out a warning about using milk thickeners on preemies. You can google it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No! It can be a sids and choking risk. There are many other things to help with reflux.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• my dr suggest it for all my kids and my youngest is 7 months old. As for it being a SIDs risk, umm not really poeple say so much crap causes SIDs but it doesnt really, there are factors into what happened with the babies that have pasted away, my doctor told me if you look at the studies on it threw out the many many of years, when we were younger the dr said put us to bed on our tummys cuz on our backs we can choke, now its put the baby to sleep on its back not tummy..... Well I say what did not kill us wont kill our kids, all of my babies as soon as they were born slept on their tummies, had creal in their milk bottles, sleep with blankets
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 3:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Yep, at the recommendation of my DD1's Pedi, for reflux.She basically wrote it out like a prescription (like 1 tsp per oz of formula or something like that I don't remember lol). I don't think I would do it again, and thankfully DD2 didn't need it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I thought I was pretty diplomatic in my answer by saying MOST doctors... Whatever.  Vote down at will I guess...  :0) have a nice day.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• At skyla i agree. My mom said she put cereal in our bottles and we are all fine. My son had really bad reflux. One time he stopped breathing and we had to do cpr and that was really scary but the cereal thing helped ALOT. He'll be 8 in july with no health issues. So she knew what she was talking about alittle bit lol. Idk i say its your kid do what u think is best
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Im sorry u was voted down. I dont do vote downs. To me it isn't a debate. I was just wondering what moms do/did. Sorry u was voted down
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 3:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• "My mom said she put cereal in our bottles and we are all fine. "

Yet for every one who turned out fine, you CAN find those who didn't. Sort of like my dad's scoffing at car seats... they never used one for me yet I'm still alive, y'know? Doesn't mean I'd have gone without for my son, even if the law didn't require it.

You have to weigh risk vs. reward and decide whether it's worth it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• yes, my LO has acid refux really bad.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:10 PM on May. 25, 2011