Sick baby and the dr is confusing

My son is 7 months old and he started throwing up last night and was still dry heaving this morning. He has only drank 2 oz of pedilight and was awake for an hour and has been sleeping all day, he also slept all night so its not like he is tired. His dr called me to check on him and I told him what was going on, no fever nothing else just throwing up and not wanting to eat. And they told me "Ok, call me if he wakes up and we will see how he is feeling" then his nurse called me and told me "if he doesnt wake up on his own wake him up to see how he is feeling" He is 7 months old he isnt going to tell me how he is feeling. How do I check him for dehyration without bothering him to much.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 3:39 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Check his diaper for wet diapers. You can press on his toe nails and they should return to pink very quickly if he is properly hydrated. Also another sign of dehydration is a deep colored urine...like deep yellow or orange color.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 9:40 PM on May. 26, 2011

• You can check for dehydration with his diapers... if he's not wetting there is a problem... as far as him sleeping all night and 'not like he's tired' I don't know about you but when I'm up puking all night I'm pretty tired the next, you can't drag me out of bed. He doesn't feel good, he's going to sleep and probably alot. I would try to make sure that when he does wake, you get as much fluid in him as he'll take so he doesn't dehydrate. and let his body do its thing to get rid of whatever is makeing him sick. If he gets new symptoms (fever, rash ect) call the doc again but otherwise giving his body a few hours to relax is not a bad thing.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Check his diaper, make sure he has at least 1 wet diaper in I think 6 hours.. sorry, its been a while -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would try and check his diaper to see if it is wet or not..... Offer him a bottle as he sleeps. That worked for my daughter see if he keeps it down.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would let him sleep an hour or two then wake him. Take his temperature again to make sure he has no fever. If you have a medicine dropper like a plastic one that comes with infant liquid medicine that you squeeze medicine into thier mouths with, wash it and while he is sitting upright, fill the dropper with pedialite or a juice mixed with water that he likes & gently squirt it into his mouth. Do this little by little maybe while he watches TV on your lap. That's what I did when my Son was really sick & could not drink big gulps without throwing up. Then call back the Pediatrician & let them know his status. As long as he has no fever & is sipping fluids at least, he should be fine. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:47 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Diapers. At this age you should get 4-5 sopping wets in 24 hours. If you're not, then he's dehydrated.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• yes check his diaper & try to keep your child drinking something even if you have to use a baby syringe to put it in its mouth if the baby doesn't take the bottle like little sips.....sounds like a stomach bug almost.....see if your baby will take tiny spoonfuls of pureed fruit. I hope your baby gets better its so hard to see our babies sick especially at 7 months old.....GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I agree with the answer above about the diapers being the way to check for dehydration. Hope that he feels better soon. It's tough when they are sick that little.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 5:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• They may want to know if he acts normal, how his eyes are....stuff like that.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Make sure he's drinking a lot and having plenty of wet diapers. If he's not eating, but he's at least drinking, then it's probably a virus that will pass. Just keep trying to push fluids and watch the diapers.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:21 PM on May. 25, 2011