Do you ever try to walk your small child/children along with your dogs

or maybe your child rides their bike or whatever? Does it EVER overwhelm you?. IT DOES ME!! I so badly want everyone to walk together . but maybe 2 dogs and a 3 and half yr old to much by myself? NO june cleaver here.LOL

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 3:39 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Pets

• My dd is 8 so it isn't a big deal here. But the dog is a monster. I have yet to be able to leash train him. Haven't walked him in forever because last time he yanked so hard he tore my shoulder up. Damn dog is making me have shoulder surgery.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Im sorry shaken my dad shoulder surgery. You must have a very strong dog.. Mine is a boxer puppy and a chihuaha.. my son is the hard part
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Put your son on a leash too! lol. But what if you both go on your bikes with the dogs running or walking alongside. If the dogs know to stay on one side while walking It should be easy and that should make it more fun for DS as well as providing everyone involved with a more fulfilling walk and exercise.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I've got two boys - 6 and 10. They walk with me pretty easy now. The 90 lb. shep/hound mix who likes to chase city buses is another story. Now that I have the Gentle Leader, we can all walk peacefully. I love that thing.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• LOL Mama Stuart my son needs a leash.. He is only 3 and half and one of the dogs is a puppy.. By the end of the summer Im hoping to get more confident.. Im not going without my dh until I can a little more confident and my 3yr becomes more Obedient. Thanks ladies for the input
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i have two dogs, so when the grandkids go with for the walk, i only take one (dog that is) but i put the youngest grandkid in the stroller and we go to the park, let him out of the stroller, and let them have at it...
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 4:44 PM on May. 25, 2011

• When my daughter was that age we had an australian shepherd and a pit bull mix that we still have. The aussie was walked by my daughter with her "special leash". It was just a 2 ft leash. I walked the other dog. The aussie was amazing with my daughter so I never worried about her walking him. I never found it overwhelming. Now my daughter is older and we have 3 dogs. I still don't have an issue.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The reason I feel its overwhelming is bc My son listens most of the time but sometimes he does get to close to the street.. We have done time outs next to the tree when he does that. And the boxer is getting stronger by the day.. Im new at walking a bigger dog. we have one OF leashes that goes under his legs.. that leash helps alot..but the dog is also strong..I dunno its a learning process. BUT WELL WORTH IT!!!
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You might try a Gentle leader head halter. That will help give you some control on walks so that you can stay focused on your son. I use one on all my dogs.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Putting him in a harness is your problem! Harnesses go over the strongest part of the dog, the chest. Those kinds of leads INSPIRE pulling. I recommend a gentle leader to give you control of the head or a correction collar high up on the neck. These take control of the more sensitive areas of the dog which makes pulling uncomfortable for them. The gentle leader kind of takes care of itself whereas the correction collar requires some training for both you and the dog.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:32 PM on May. 26, 2011