Are you doing a summer reading challenge with your kids?

Whether it's with through the library on your own? I'd love to join up (to stay motivated) with other moms who are doing a reading challenge with their kids. We're writing ours down at Summer Reading Challenge You can link up there if you want to. 

momtohanna

Asked by momtohanna at 3:49 PM on May. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not reading, her reading is great. Her hand writing is not so great, so we are going to work on that every day.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Near the end of school we go to the book store and I buy them some new books to read over the summer! Im not sure if I could do the library program they have, as I would be busy doing other things and would miss days.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I actually made a deal with my oldest, she is almost 8 and loves Junie B Jones' books. So she and I will go to the library every 2 weeks to check one out and she has to read a few pages each night. Haven't figured out what reward will be, but she loves just about anything. She had a hard time last summer and at daycare all day during the summer. So I will also send workbooks to keep her math and spelling up too.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 5:43 PM on May. 25, 2011

• ShelbysHope76- Just so you know, not sure ifyou have read any of the junie b jones books, but they are written how kids talk, the grammar and spelling is horrible. I refused to get my dd any of those as I do not want her to think that is how to write, or spell. She kinda skipped over them thankfully, she is into Roald Dahl, Charlie and the chocolate factory, James and the giant peach, the glass elevator, The BFG and Matilda.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• we are doing a book club....we have 7 girls and 5 boys....we are doing the boys and girls seperate because of the age difference and their tastes in books.....they are gonna read a book every 2 weeks and we are setting them up with ways to learn to discuss the book and an activity so that we (the parents) can be involved also....were hoping the kids wanna keep it up through the school yr too.....at the end of the summer we are rewarding the boys with a baseball game and the girls with a football game...they chose lol
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:30 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I was just going to ask a question similar so I gave you a bump. :)

Our library has a reading challenge that does not require regular meet-ups which saves our schedule! For every 5 books the kids get an entry into the summer sweepstakes. If they complete a certain number of books they get a few small prizes too.

We are also looking for other similar reading programs. Barnes and Noble usually does one for grade school aged kids. Reading x number of books earns you a free book. Pizza Hut does one with a free drawing. I'm looking for other places that we can check out. The kids love reading with a goal in mind and the prizes or contests don't hurt their motivation either.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:26 PM on May. 26, 2011

• minimo - you're not the first person I've seen say that about Junie B and I can respect that position.

I will say, however, that for me personally, if the only thing my daughter is willing to read is a Junie B book, than I'm all for Junie. That's not the case in our house, but it is for some. Honestly, to me, it's more important that a child read than the book be of a specific caliber. My DS is a bright kid that is grade levels ahead but he really just likes reading Wimpy Kid books over and over. More power to him - he's reading. ;) I think Junie is the same as Elmo. My kids LOVED Elmo, but they never talked like him. They modeled their talking after the adults they heard around them. My DD has read Junie B Jones books and when she does, we do talk about how Junie doesn't talk or write like we should. As long as proper English and spelling is modeled for her, she's not slipping into any traps of confusion. to each her own
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on May. 26, 2011

• Yes, we are at the library
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Bump
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:01 AM on Jun. 10, 2011