Breastfeeding and dirty looks

Yesterday I told my best friend that I wanted to breastfeed she gave me a confused look and said "why?" Apparently it bothers her when mom's "Feed in pubic." Besides putting a nursing blanket over everything to make sure no one can see anything I agree that I will not be happy with people looking at me dirty but I will breast feed any suggestions or opinions?

alainalee

Asked by alainalee at 3:52 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you do what you want to do, and ignore the people like your friend. its not their baby you're feeding!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:53 PM on May. 25, 2011

• EVERYONE has a right to eat in public. Whether that be off a plate or nursing. Besides, even without the blanket, if you do it right, no part of your breast will be exposed. You'd be surprised how much baby's head obstructs from view.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You are doing what is best for your child. there opinion matters not. As long as you are being respectful by covering up or being discreet (as 99% of breast feeding mothers are NOT that they *have* to be) they have nothing to complain about. In fact most states have laws on your side. http://maloney.house.gov/documents/olddocs/breastfeeding/050505CRSReport.pdf I don't have time to find a more up dated list but I am sure there is one out there.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• not a very good friend if you ask me...breastfeeding is one of the single most important things you could ever do for your baby!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 3:57 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Your baby needs to eat. Ignore the dirty looks. Honestly, I breastfed 3 boys and only got praise, no dirty looks or people telling me to cover up. Probably because I usually threw a receiving blanket over my shoulder, so you could never see anything. Still, unless your boob is hanging out for all to see, don't let anybody make you feel bad about your decision.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I nursed all 6 of my children. I was not bothered by the stares of people. My baby is hungry, I will feed him/her when it was time. I always made sure I had a big blanket to cover everything.
    People that are gawking are so insensitive to children nowadays. Just take it in stride and know you are taking care of your child. oh and don't forget the big blanket. :)
    smightygood

Answer by smightygood at 3:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have no problem with breast feeding in public. And I don't think mom's should have to sit in the bathroom to do it. However, I think a little modesty should take place. I haven't seen it very often....but I have seen mom's almost completely disrobe in order to feed. I saw it once in a restaurant. The lady completely unbuttoned her shirt and let it all hang out. The teenage boy at the table next to her could not stop staring.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have never gotten a dirty look and I BF in public all summer last year. At the pool, carnivals, in the mall, at the park, restaurants, even my MIL's graduation ceremony!
    I also had a 4yo and I wasn't going to limit the things HE could do by his brother's feeding schedule.
    The most I ever got were surprised looks when people realized what I was doing. Sort of like they were looking at the blanket and were like Oops, she's nursing, I'm going to look away now!
    Congratulations on deciding to nurse! Do what makes YOU feel comfortable and forget what anyone else thinks.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• People always make such a huge deal out of breastfeeding in public, but in reality once you get good at it, people don't even know or notice. I never used a blanket to cover my children's heads, and never had any issues in public. Your baby has a right to eat, regardless of what anyone with boob hangups think.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If someone gives you a dirty look, squirt milk in their eye.

No, that's probably not the socially acceptable response. Just remember how much of an idiot they are being and take care of your baby.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:00 PM on May. 25, 2011