Hot dogs

I know that none of us would actually eat a hot dog because they are so bad for us and full of nitrates. (wink) They are poison...blah, blah, blah.

I admit we eat them occasionally. Please try not to lynch me for my horrendous crime :D

There is actually a debate in my house about the best way to cook them.

How do you cook them? and how did your parents cook them?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:18 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We either grill them or cut them in half and fry them in a pan on the stove...this is the only way my DH will eat them. I used to just boil them in water on the stove but that is against the rules now, lol
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Actually I'm also guilty of chicken nuggets, pizza, mac and cheese, and kool aid. So there. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Actually, many hot dog brands, if you don't buy the cheap brands, are nitrate free now! We slow roast them on the grill. It's the only way I'll eat one. And it has to be Hebrew National, or from our local Butcher shop.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I like to get that fat and plump and a tad burnt on the grill. My parents did that or sometimes boiled them. I don't really care for them boiled. But i LOVE hot dogs. I even like to sing that song from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (hehe)
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 4:21 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My youngest son likes to have his plain hot dog cold- no bun, no condiments my oldest likes the Oscar Mayer jalapeno and cheddar ones, the middle likes plain beef hotdogs- and I usually microwave them When I have a hot dog I will microwave it quick for lunch, although I like them best when they are grilled or roasting them over the fire pit. My mom used to boil them in a pan of water on the stove, I did not care for them that way.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:26 PM on May. 25, 2011

• my parents boiled them, and so that is how i prefer mine as well. however, grilled is second best in my opinion. i will only eat oscar mayer or ballpark franks, 100% beef or turkey.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i've even eaten them cold, from the refridgerator...not often, but i have done it!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Grill them on the Foreman, "grill" them in an empty saute pan, or put in a pot. For pot, I put in pot, cover with water, and bring to boil. I then add lid, drop the temp, and cook until just about to split (about 6 minutes). Pot is how we had them growing up.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:21 PM on May. 25, 2011

• good old microwave...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think my mom just threw them in a pan on the stove cant remember but we grill them here and I only buy the all beef ones then I slop mustarts, onions and a whole lot of chili on mine!!! Yummmmm
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2011