My daughter is failing history...

so she has to attend summer school. I took the computer out of her room and well... also her video game systems. She won't get it back unless she passes this course.
Because it cost $100.00, I am planning on telling her we have no summer vacation of it.
Am I over reacting?

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 4:22 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I believe you are going a bit overboard. Don't cheat yourself bc of her actions. Have her stay with someone and you can go.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:01 PM on May. 25, 2011

• What do you mean by no summer vacation?
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:25 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't think you should blame her for no family vacation. Could she enroll in a correspondence course to make up that failing history grade. I'm not sure how much they cost but it may be an alternative.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Since sending her was dependent on good grades, she didn't earn the trip out to California.

Yes, remove the computer, the game systems, take her cell phone if she has one, and make sure that you follow up on her summer course.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't think so. Do you know why she is failing? If there is a particular cause make sure you address it too. If she is bored with it maybe you can help make it more interesting for her...fill in some of the gaps the books leave out.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:24 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Well her summer school is from june 20-july 8. We were suppose to send her to california to visit Grandma for fourth of July as a reward for doing good in school. So now I am just going to tell her she can't go.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 4:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Actually my hubby and I were going to tay home and just send her.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We are taking away the electronics. Yes I do know my daughter and I know as long as she has these things she will not do her work. So she actually gets the electronics back only if she passes the summer courses. I do not think it is a punishment to go to summer school, it is making up what she should have done in the first place. I am not really punishing her, I am if you think of it merely removing the distractions.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 9:38 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think you are doing the right thing.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If she did well in her other classes I would still send her personally. I agree with taking away some of the distractions for a period of time is a fair punishment (the whole summer would probably be a bit much imho)

Kids are under insane amounts of pressure these days in school. I understand your upset but having to take a summer school class instead of enjoying 2 months off from school is sort of a punishment in and of itself. I'm sure your really mad about having to pay the extra money (rightfully so) but everyone messes up and drops the ball now and then. Only you know your daughter though and the sort of student she is overall. If you think she's likely to continue to do poorly or has put forth little effort in the past then I would understand a more severe reaction. But if this is just a mistake then I would say follow her progress during the semester more closely and help prevent failing before it happens. GL
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:40 PM on May. 25, 2011