Even though I don't "know" this person would it be rude to send a note of sympathy?

Oh gosh, I don't know where to start, but I live in Kansas City, and my husband's office manager is from Joplin. Her immediate family is okay, but her best friend was on her way to the store with her 3 year old and her 1 year old. Her husband called her and said you need to take cover right now! She parked in the hospital parking lot and was running, dragging the 3 year old and carrying her 1 year old. She had almost made it inside and the 3 year old fell she let her grip loosen and her baby was ripped from her arms and blown away. They have not found him yet. I have lost a child, and although it could not compare to the awful thing she went through, I would like to write her a note, and tell her how sorry, but yet how proud I am of her for coming out alive,, do you think it is weird? I don't want to upset her anymore than she is.

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 4:25 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• No, that is a very nice thought...and Jesus Lord I'm balling my eyes out now........So so so sorry for you too :(
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:29 PM on May. 25, 2011

• what a terrible thing to go through. I'm so sorry you had to experience the loss of a child. I can't even imagine what you went through or what she is going through now, how heartbreaking. I don't see it being rude at all or weird, I think it helps knowing people care.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think sincere thoughts are always appreciated and helpful through difficult times. Even if you are a stranger it is comforting to know that someone else understands what you are going through. I am too sorry for your loss, the loss of a child is quite possibly the worst loss you can experience.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing weird or rude telling someone how you feel in a time of crisis.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I just know she must be beating herself up, what if she had kept driving, what if she had left them at home? I want her to know that she is in no way to blame, but don't know how to say the words.
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 4:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh that is terrible, yes i would, my prayers for her and her family
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 4:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Of course it is not rude. But be careful of your wording until he is found. Sometimes people mean well, but say the wrong thing. Big hugs Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh no... that makes me so sick for her and what that family must be feeling and going through.. ugh.. I can't imagine.. :(
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:39 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Actually, I think that would be extremely nice and thoughtful. I am sure the family is horribly upset right now, and to know that someone they never met is concerned about them after something tragic, would probably bring them a tiny bit of comfort. It couldn't hurt!..
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Oh how horrible. I can't even begin to imagine how the mom feels right now. I think you have a good heart, and it is nice that you want to send her a sympathy card and condolence note. That family and baby are in my thoughts and prayers.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:42 PM on May. 25, 2011