Genderless child

A husband and wife have decided to hide the gender of their child. Their belief is that children do not have a choice in anything. They want to give their child the choice to decide what it wants to be.

Here is the link to the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110524/ts_yblog_thelookout/parents-keep-childs-gender-under-wraps

My questions are: How can you raise a genderless child? Will the child grow up confused? Will he/she be able to choose the gender they want to be?

smightygood

Asked by smightygood at 5:02 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Will the child grow up confused? You bet! These parents are using their child as a social experiment and it's sick.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• You can't choose what gender you are. You either have a penis or a vagina, or in rare circumtances, a combo of the 2. If the baby was a transvestite, I could see them leaving it up to the child to decide what sex he/she associates with, but if the baby is a full blown girl, she cannot choose to be a boy. I don't understand it at all. Seems like a reason to media attention to me.
    Anonymous

• i AGREE 100% scout mom
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 5:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The one son is already. I understand not wanting to pigeon hole a child, but there are other ways. If they were truly trying to let the kids find themselves on thier own, they shouldn't subject them to the media.
    onix

Answer by onix at 5:06 PM on May. 25, 2011

• This story makes me so mad. these poor children
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I still don't know how I feel about that story. I can see where the pros and cons are of both sides. I personally wouldn't do it to my child, but if another parent does it who am I to say they're wrong? I also found one of the comments interesting, someone wrote how their parents had done the same thing to them and they had turned out fine. Then again the "definition" of fine has a variety of meanings. It's hard for me to say or judge, I'm really unsure about this one to be completely honest.
    SMC112011

Answer by SMC112011 at 5:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I don't think they are keeping the gender of the baby from the child itself they just aren't sharing the babies gender with the world. What I took from the article is that they basically are letting their child decide for themselves how they want to dress and act. It is kind of like me telling my DD that she can do anything her brothers can do. Letting my oldest son grow his hair long or letting my DD cute her hair short or shave her head. I don't think they are raising the child with no gender so to speak since they know the gender of the baby as do their other children.

If I were to raise a genderless child I guess I would talk to them about both genders and let them decide what they want to do. I think it is probably easy for the family and hard for the outside world because it is different.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:13 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Actually another couple did this a few years back... LINK. 

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I think both children are girls. It just seem weird to hide a boy's gender that way. Just my thoughts....
    smightygood

Comment by smightygood (original poster) at 5:19 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I realize we all want what is best for our children, however this poor child will be teased enough as it. Gee, let's throw this at him/her and see what happens. Unbelievable.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 5:36 PM on May. 25, 2011