Dr. visit

i went to my dr visit yesturday my apt was at 2 30 and i didnt see the doc until about 4 i was so upset and the thing that bothers me is that when she went into the room all she did was hear the babys heart beat and didnt even ask how i been feeling she just wanted to get out of there fast...... my question is do you think i can change my ob or is it too late i am 29 weeks

window7

Asked by window7 at 5:30 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i would change......
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Playing devils advocate... Maybe it was just a very busy day or the receptionist over booked. If this was a 1 time thing I might be able to overlook it.(although it would piss me off, my time is valuable too)
    However if its more than once or if you truly feel you want to change it isnt to late. An OB is someone who can have a major influence on how your pregnancy and delivery go and you should have one you like and feel good about.
    Whatever you decide best of luck and best wishes.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 6:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I understand who annoying that can be but you have to think, this kind of stuff happens everywhere from time to time. One of the doctors may have called out sick or there could have been a delivery that your DD had to be there for (happen to me, pushed my appt. back 45 min. Do you otherwise like your OB? If so, I would stick with her if you haven't had a problem, I would stick with her, if she has really been a problem then change but 29 weeks is really late to be doing that and again this happens at every doctor's office.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:31 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If you feel she's not the right doctor for you I would change also, I like doctors who are genuine and thorough not just trying to rush you out of the office good luck mama
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 6:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Good luck! I know I get delayed sometimes, I hate it, but I love my OB. If you feel you have other issues see if you can switch. But be aware they most likely won't let you unless there is a serious issue with your current OB.
    Brittany C.

Answer by Brittany C. at 6:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Of course~ If you are still pregnant then you can hire a new care provider!

Are you having a normal, healthy pregnancy?
    Is there any need to use a surgeon/high-risk doctor?
    It's safer for normal maternity care to use a midwife rather than an OB, keep in mind your care will be very different.
    Midwives average 30 minutes with their client (although mine were a minimum of 60 minutes and up to 2 hours usually) rather than the average 7 minutes (although I do read the new average is 4 minutes) for an OB with a patient.

Great prenatal care is really important~ and this is done through spending quality time with the pregnant mother, not speeding her down the assembly line & Drive-Thru service.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I've had my doctor do that too, its just sometimes they are extremely busy and backed up. tis the season to be pregnant. If it happens again though I would definitely change doctors or talk to her, tell her I understand I am not the only pregnant women in the world but I feel a little neglected in your care is there anything we can do about it? good luck my dear!
    WMyLil_Star13

Answer by WMyLil_Star13 at 7:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• The only time it's too late to change OBs is after you've delivered. OB often have emergencies and get backed up. We had a wait like that one time for DD's urologist. I was fuming until I found out why. A kid he operated on that morning had an internal bleed and he had to go back in. I now try to ask the receptionist how the doctor is running to get an idea of what the wait might be.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:51 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I totally feel your pain.

I was with a midwife throughout my pregnancy, spending minimum one hour with her at each appointment, until we decided an emergency hospital birth was the answer. When we were at the hospital (midwife was with me), I was seen throughout the birth by THREE different OBs.

Then on the follow-up appointments I spoke to their nurses far more than to the OB. The OB was only in the room with me about 5 minutes, then on to the next woman.

If I were you, I would transfer to another medical professional who knows that your time is just as valuable as theirs!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:42 PM on May. 25, 2011