My niece isn't walking at 16 months, what can we do??

My niece is 16 months and will only walk if someone is holding her hands or she is walking along the couch. This has been going of for a few months and she still doesnt stand alone, she has maybe 3 times for about 5 seconds. Should we be concerned? Is there anything we can do to help her along?

husky_grlie08

Asked by husky_grlie08 at 5:31 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO its time for the pediatrician to schedule a developmental evaluation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:35 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My dd was 16 months and not walking. Our doctor said there was nothing to be concerned about. She started walking two weeks later. There is nothing a pediatrician can or will do until after 18 months old.

Answer by gemgem at 5:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My son is 15 months now and just started walking. He still prefers to crawl and walk along things only because he did it for so long. It's hard to say because I have heard of some toddlers not walking until 18 months.
    BraydonsMama262

Answer by BraydonsMama262 at 7:46 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Does she have any push toys? Like a little cart or something? That might help her develop balance better. But like gemgem said, I think 18 months is the "concerned" point.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:49 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Most kids won't walk until they're 16-18 months old. I wouldn't worry too much, it's actually nice not having to chase after a toddler who thinks it's FUN to run away from Mommy. I WISH my kids had walked later than they did.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• 12 months is just the average a child will start to walk.. Many children walk much later.. If everything else is fine with her and she reached all her other milestones, I would not worry.. My middle DD started walking at around 18 months (not holding on to things), she is not delayed at all.. My oldest was walking before a year old and she is not "gifted"... They all do things on their own time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Almost all of her development has been slow... she only has 8 teeth right now and most of those are just barely showing, she took a long time to crawl, sit up, and everything but this has been the longest wait. And she has push toys she's pretty good with but i've noticed she leans forward so much when trying to walk because of the pushing so when I try to stand in front of her and have her hold my hands, like she's walking towards me so she doesnt have to pull on my fingers and lean forward, she gets scared and acts like she cant do it.
    husky_grlie08

Comment by husky_grlie08 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Leave her alone. The more you push her to walk, the more she's not going to want to. If you quit trying to make her, she'll do it sooner than later - in her own time, because she's not being pushed. My DS was the same way - we pushed and pushed and tried and tried and finally just left him be, and within 2 months not only was he walking but running everywhere.
    Anonymous

• First of all, teeth are not a milestone. My daughter didn't have a single tooth until she was 11 months old..then she got 4 at once, and then 4 more immediately after. She also didn't crawl until 10.5 months or walk until 13-14 months. She is now almost 3 and SO incredibly smart. You guys "helping" her to walk all the time are only hurting her efforts. She's not going to learn if someone is sharing the weight. She's a baby....just let her be.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:38 AM on May. 26, 2011