How much television for the summer?

How much television do you allow your children to watch during the summer? My son has played Wii or watched TV all day today and then he got in trouble and I told him no more TV the rest of the day. So he and both his sisters went outside. So I'm thinking "duh, don't let them watch tv or play Wii all day". So I'm wondering how much TV you allow when they are out of school.

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 5:48 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• We dont have rules in the summer. My kids arent that interested in TV though, so they spend more time outside in the pool then anywhere else over the summer.

Answer by gemgem at 5:50 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'd say maybe 2 hours a day tops. (During the school year I give mine one hour on school days and then sat and sun depends on our schedule.) As a treat to him during the summer I'll dub certain days "anything you want to do days" where he can watch TV or play computer all day if he wants. (This is really a day where I need to get stuff done. He sees it as a treat and I get time to get much needed chores done. It happens maybe 2 or 3 days during the summer TOPS.)
    Anonymous

• This is the first summer my children have had a yard to play in so I honestly think it just doesn't occur to them to go outside. I think they will more as time goes by especially once I hook up the water sprinkler and show them how to play in it. But we did have rain and tornado watches all day today. But, yeh, gonna limit TV time, I think.

BTW, if we had a pool, we would all be out there all day and nothing would ever get done!! LOL
    Dabberdoo

Comment by Dabberdoo (original poster) at 5:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It's usually not an issue because they'd rather be outside all day long. They watch from the time they get up until they go outside around 10am (a few hours). And then they are usually outside until it gets dark around 9pm. Then they come in and take showers and watch a little TV until they go to bed around 10pm.
    On rainy days they might watch all day. I don't mind as long as they get up and do something and spend most of the week outside. If they are getting on my nerves the TV goes off and they go out no matter the weather.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:15 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No television during the day unless someone is sick. It's just generally how we are all year round. They might spend an hour or 2 on the Wii some days but they are usually reading or outside (then again, they are kind of freaks.) I also try to get them in at least 1 session of camp so I can get stuff done without worrying about keeping them entertained and out of trouble.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Not much at all, we are gone ALL the time, beach, zoo, park, outside, etc.... but I am okay with TV I just like ummer to be active an fun!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:11 PM on May. 25, 2011