Constipation

My baby is 7 months old. She has been getting cereal since she was 5 1/2 months and is on formula. Today I noticed her poop is very very stinky, sticky, and its not super hard but has more of a form to it. She was really fussy too before her bowel movement. Normally she goes once or twice a day and they are not too stinky and are not formed.. Could she be constipated ? What should I do?

jenna_rose

Asked by jenna_rose at 5:56 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughters were switching to something new they'd usually get a little constipated, I put just a tiny bit of miralax in their night time bottle and that seemed to help, I'd increase it a little every day until she's regular, usually takes 2-3 days and after awhile their bodies seemed to adjust. If the constipation is really bad I use suppositories on them, but that shouldnt be needed, Their poop is expected to change with cereal and baby food, but if its a struggle for her to go try some miralax... I usually buy the off brand and it works just as well.
    husky_grlie08

Answer by husky_grlie08 at 6:00 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Give her about 2 ounces of warm baby Prune apple juice (Gerber) or put some in her bottle at feeding time this should loosen up her stool my son was like this at about 2 months
    hotcherry21

Answer by hotcherry21 at 6:18 PM on May. 25, 2011

• In infants, constipation is passing dry,hard, pellet like stools. Since she's on solids, try offering foods that are high in fiber to soften the stool, though I'm not sure this is constipation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• maybe she's getting alot of iron? i'm having the same problem with my son right now. i'm giving him formula with iron and every couple days giving him a different kind without added iron, just so he doesnt get overloaded
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:43 AM on May. 26, 2011