My daughter wants to change her name...

my daughter's name is abigail jean lastname. we call her abby for short. oh, and she's 3yrs old. WELL, she now wants her name to be abigail "L,M,N,O,P" lastname...AND she wants abby to only have 1 b, so "aby"...lol she is totally serious about this. she looked like she was going to cry she was so serious when she told my husband and i! ahhh...i'm in for quite a rough ride with this one! =O) have your kids ever wanted to have a new/different name?

happymom8262

Asked by happymom8262 at 6:08 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 3 year old is now Action Man. Why Action Man? Because "Action Man rescues people like Batman flies."

My husband called him his real name on the phone and he responded with "who's that?".
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 7:08 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My son's name is Paxton and he is 3. One day, out of the blue, he decided his name was going to be Jimmy. It lasted for several months, probably about 5. If you called him Paxton, he got mad and yelled his name was Jimmy. We pleased him and called him Jimmy, unless he was in trouble. Finally we got a puppy and he decided the female puppy's name would be Jimmy. And suddenly he was Paxton again.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 6:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Tell her if she feels the same way when she's 18 she's more than welcome to change it. :) (She thinks she gets her way and by then it won't even be an issue - or if it is, then she's old enough to make a reasonable decision about it.)
    Anonymous

• have no suggestions but have to give a chuckle. my nephew ( 5) wants to change his name too :0 this must be the new trend the little ones are talking about at the sand box lol
    shanesmom24

Answer by shanesmom24 at 6:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i did when i was a kid...but now that i'm older i don't mind it...it sounds "official" more than some names still sound "childish"...make sense??
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:09 PM on May. 25, 2011

• LOL thats SO cute. my nephew goes back and fourth between being called mario or mickey mouse. he gets super mad if i accidently call him Ryan XD "NO IM MARIO" XD and he calls my 20 month old twin boys "weegi and toast" (luigi and toad) OR hes mickey mouse and the boys are donald and goofy and i'm daisey and my mom is minnie XD
    and yeah when i was a kid I always wanted to change my name.
    I actually just changed my boys middle names (not legally yet because that costs money but i will soon) from taden maximus and tyler matthias to taden daniel and tyler benjamin after my brothers
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I did. I also have an Abigial but we spell her nickname "Abi". I guess I don't understand why you don't want her to change the spelling of her nickname. Its not her legal given name. If my Abi wants to change her's someday, I'll let her. She has to live with it forever, not me.
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 6:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My four year old wants to change her name from Madeleine to Amblee and her two year old sister wants to change her name from Lorelei to Kayla. The four year old also insists on calling her sister Coco, which she hates.
    I don't know where they got their new names. Sometimes I humor them and call them Amblee and Kayla.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 7:05 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Ahh she is 3, they do that :) Neither of my kids have done that, but everyone loves their names so they do too :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Nope, my 3 year old will tell me Caleb is my name, you cant change it!
    miyucamui

Answer by miyucamui at 8:13 PM on May. 25, 2011