How do help my little girl stop biting friends at daycare?

We believe that Dani's issue comes from change. She seems to bite more when a teacher changes in her room. She also gets tired and frustated and acts out with biting. My husband is leaving soon on a deployment and I'd really like to try to help her before he leaves. She bit two kids today and two others yesterday. She doesn't bite at home with my husband and I; any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

ArmyBratMommy09

Asked by ArmyBratMommy09 at 6:25 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This can be a big issues sorry it is once that you have to deal with. It looks like you are on the right tract on looking for why she bites. Try to deal with the issues behind the bitting not the bitting its self. I never had to deal with this personaly but have worked in a daycare so I will also give you a bump and good luck mamma
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 6:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I too have worked in a daycare facility, IN the 2 year old room. Kids at this age bite for a variety of reasons, most often to express frustrations or anger when they just don't have the words. Like you've noted already, she'll bite when she's frustrated and/or tired. That's a lot easier to fix than you'd think. As for the frustrations when a teacher leaves, that may be a little more difficult. Is it when a teacher goes on break or lunch, or a permanent replacement?

If the teacher is leaving on a break or lunch see if s/he is willing to tell your daughter that they are leaving now, but will be back when the hands on the clock look like "so". That MAY help.

CONT
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• CONT

For the biting in class see if you can get her a "Shadow". That is a teacher or volunteer that follows your daughter around and helps her resolve problems BEFORE she bites. This Shadow is also a type of interventionist. If a child takes a toy from her the Shadow would say: HEY! I was playing with that, give it back! and gently had the toy back to your daughter. They should also be able to distract and redirect her when she's getting tired and cranky or upset with what she's currently doing.

Another thing that might help is one of those posters that has faces of different emotions. When she shows that she's starting to have a a hard time take her to that poster and have her point to the face she's feeling.

2 year olds, in their way, have it tough. They've got all these emotions that they're feeling, but DO NOT have the vocabulary to adequately express themselves.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:17 PM on May. 25, 2011

• She gets frustated when a teacher leaves for good. The daycare she was in before went through teachers like crazy. It was the reason we took her out and found new care. The teacher that just left had some family things to take care. This is the first time she has acted out like this. I think there might be a little uncomfort going on with her teeth and/or mouth. And she might be in pain and the teacher leaving just adds to her already negative mood
    ArmyBratMommy09

Comment by ArmyBratMommy09 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on May. 25, 2011