Any ideas for getting a 3yo to stay in his room at night?

We recently moved into a new home. My 3yo son says that he doesn't like his room. He doesn't want to sleep in his toddler bed - complains of monsters under it and has been sleeping on the floor. We put him to bed at night and when we check on him later, we find him either in our bed, on the floor of his brothers room or his own floor. Either way 2-3 times per night he is up and in our room. I've tried laying with him in his own room for awhile, but the minute he stirs and notices I'm gone...he's back trying to climb into our bed. Ugh! We're pretty tired and out of ideas...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does he have a night light in his room? and does he like a certain toy you can have him sleep with something he likes
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• He has a nightlight and his blanket....I don't know about another toy that would work - he is more into games and coloring right now than any toys I can think of - but its certainly worth a try. We have also considered a gate, but he is potty trained and occasionally does have to get up and use the bathroom...
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• yeah a gate wont work if he has to go to the bathroom lol you would end up cleaning up a mess in the morning instead of having to worry if he is sleeping in his room or not try putting his mattress on the floor that way he has some support between the floor but it could be that hes not use to the house yet
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• he doesnt like his bed and doesnt want to be in it.

Ask him if getting him a new one would help? Or ask him to point out the monsters and try to get rid of them for him so to speak.

He doesnt have a problem sleeping without you..he has a problem with the bed. Help him through this by working with him to find a solution - even if you do something that shows you are getting rid of the monsters...like get him somethign that will protect him...
    Anonymous

• Someone told me get a spray bottle of water and that way he can spray the monsters away. I also use a baby gate to keep my toddler in his room. I don't allow my children to sleep with me. I also don't want my children wandering the house in the middle of the night. So, I use the baby gate as security against that. Best wishes.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 3:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Does he believe in fairies or magic? You could sprinkle "fairy dust" or "cast a spell" in his room to keep all the monsters out of it. You could gather some rocks and encircle his bed with them telling him the rocks are enchanted and will keep the monsters away.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2008