Ephedra

So Im 18 weeks pregnant and I have a bad cold and I've been taking Sudafed extra strength. I called my dr to make sure it was ok and she said yes (well not my dr, a nurse told me it was ok) but it has ephedra in it. It wasnt even on the shelf, it was behind the counter and the lady said it was ok to take also but Im paranoid! Im just wondering if anybody else has taken it or heard anything abt it?

Danielle875

Asked by Danielle875 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would just take more vitamin C. I don't really trust OTC meds when pregnant. I have the worst cold/sinus/sore throat right now, so I totally understand.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Sudafed actually has pseudoephedrine, which doesn't have the same risks as regular ephedrine. However, one of the known risks is raised blood pressure.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 6:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree with the PP. I'm surprised they let you take the extra strength...my doctor and most pharmacists will tell you to only take the plain regular sudafed.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's behind the counter because people make meth with it. I agree with the PP. There are other ways to make yourself feel better and get better without cold meds. Although, Sudafed is the only cold med on my approved drugs list. I do sinus irrigation. It works wonders. And take garlic pills.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 6:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I have taken cold meds, but I never get what's behind the counter. I understand you have no choice since you live in CO and meth is HUGE there, but if the doctor and nurse said it's all right, then don't worry too much! I have taken so much damn cold meds this pregnancy, it's not even funny, and you know I've had numerous U/S's and my daughter is perfectly healthy!
    AshleyKay1983

Answer by AshleyKay1983 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2008