S/O of the PP question

Is anyone required, ethically, morally or legally, to provide birth control to anyone else, regardless of age? Is the availability of services that provide free or low cost birth control a necessity, or a luxury for people lacking the self control to forgo sex without buying their own condoms first?

Edited to clarify since it keeps getting hijacked - this has NOTHING to do with pharmacists, and everything to do with paying for other people's birth control for them because they want to screw whatever moves without having any personal responsibility in providing their own bc.  That includes handing them free condoms.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:00 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would rather birth control be available to teens who are going to have sex regardless of the parent's consent. I don't think giving people birth control regardless of age is bad. If this teenager is going to have sex with or without your say wouldn't you want them to be safe? As for this being a luxury for people with no self control, how may people here can say that they have never done anything that they wish they can take back. Do you think there aren't any teenagers out there who make a mistake and the consequence is a baby or an std? The more we educate and provide birth control and information the better we all will be.

Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:07 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Bugz, you didn't answer the question, "Is anyone required, ethically, morally or legally, to provide birth control to anyone else, regardless of age?"

OP, the answer is NO.. No one is required....  But, IMO, people who lack personal responsibility feel entitled.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:22 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is the availability of services that provide free or low cost birth control a necessity, or a luxury for people lacking the self control to forgo sex without buying their own condoms first?

It's more like an entitlement. A Charity. A gift promoting a lack of personal responsibility.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:23 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I have been bashed for my stance on this time and again...but here goes.

YOU are responsible. If you cannot even afford a pack of condoms then you certainly cannot afford a child. Either be responsible or dont have sex. Period. Pregnancy is 100% preventable...just keep your pants up.

This goes for married people too! My Mamo embarrassed the crap out of me by telling how she used to wash out the condoms and hang them on the clothes line. If they needed new ones they didnt have sex until they bought some more. It's all about PERSONAL responsiblity.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Is anyone required, ethically, morally or legally, to provide birth control to anyone else, regardless of age?

No.  It is a personal responsibility.  If you aren't responsible enough to provide your own protection, you aren't responsible enough to have sex.

Is the availability of services that provide free or low cost birth control a necessity, or a luxury for people lacking the self control to forgo sex without buying their own condoms first?

This is where I see the murky water.  I think it's a little of both.  For some it's probably a necessity and better to provide low cost BC than to have an unintended pregnancy that they can't afford.  For some though, it is a luxury for people lacking self control and personal responsibility.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:33 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I would rather birth control be available to teens who are going to have sex regardless of the parent's consent.

Last time I checked condoms ARE available at just about any grocery store, pharmacy, walmart, Target and a lot of other places, and there is no age limit. If they are old enough in their eyes to have sex they should be old enough to put aside the embarrassment and buy some condoms.

Personally, I think the "teens are going to do it so let's provide them with condoms" is insulting to them. Why aren't we teaching them some self control? If it's not possible to be self controlled why isn't every girl a teenage mom? Why is the bar set so low?

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:34 PM on May. 25, 2011

I always get voted down for this, but I don't care. I will say this until there is no breath in my lungs. The surest way to control birth is to not engage in the activity that causes pregnancy until you are married. Then, there are too parents to love and care for the child, support each other in the parenting, and be the best example for PP which is having the reception and then the conception. Teach by example. 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:42 PM on May. 25, 2011

• completely a personal responsibility..no HAS to have sex. no one has ever died from not having it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:45 PM on May. 25, 2011

• No one HAS to have sex. No one HAS to provide the people who are too stupid to protect themselves with birth control. That should be completely and totally up to the person choosing to have sex. Birth control is inexpensive, and those who claim they can't afford it (then get pregnant and have to provide for a baby) have their priorities screwed up.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:25 PM on May. 25, 2011

• ^ Sorry. I entered that before I was finished. All that said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to give free birth control to some people. The same people that would skip out on birth control because they "can't afford it" are the same people that would get on the various forms of PA because they "can't afford" the child that resulted in their stupidity.  It's annoying to know that providing BC is promoting a lack of responsibility, but what is the alternative?

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:29 PM on May. 25, 2011