Does anyone ever get kind of jealous of the relationships between your children and other family members?

First off, I never say anything or act on my feelings. I know that it is important for my kids to have special bonds with other family members. I am just wondering if I am the only one who ever feel jealous about it. The only one that really ever bugs me is my MIL, because I feel like she is the only one who my kids might end up being closer to than me. I know logically that this is stupid, but I can't help feeling bothered when she always wants to be around us. Like I said, I know that this is selfish, and I never say anything. I am always very nice and welcoming to her. I guess I would just feel better if I wasn't the only one who felt like this. None of the other family members on my or my husband's side bother me this way. hg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on May. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, but it makes me sad that they would choose dhs parents over my mom... But that's kids, and there's nothing I can really do about it
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:10 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I do not feel jealous because I have my own relationship with my sons and though the may get close and have a relationship with others it will never touch the relationship I have with them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:12 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My mother gets jealous all the time that my oldest daughter has always preferred my in-laws. In my daughter's defense my mom treats her like she is a toddler (she is 8), doesn't know how to relate to her/what to talk about, how to take care of her when she is sick but in-laws do, my mom almost got her kidnapped at Disneyland by not watching her closely enough, etc..... If I were my daughter I may want to keep her at a slight arms length too.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 7:16 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Not jealous, but it does baffle my mind that my daughter's favorite cousin is 10 years older than her.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• If it bothers you, talk about it? It wouldnt bother me though. I'm still the parent.
    miyucamui

Answer by miyucamui at 8:09 PM on May. 25, 2011