Why is my teenager so self centered and selfish please dont tell me this is his nature???

Momofthree1229

Asked by Momofthree1229 at 7:35 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• it could be his teenagery ways..or ..maybe he wasn't taught to think of others?? there's no telling, since i don't know him personally.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:36 PM on May. 25, 2011

• because....he's a teen?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:37 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I work in a highschool and I will tell you that many of those kids/young adults are selfcentered. They've been catered to, over indulged, and spoiled by parents and grandparents. They think whatever they want should be given to them NOW. Many of them suffer from entitlement issues.  SO I think it is in many of their basic natures at that age.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• is his birthday in late march or early april? he is an aries.....we are very self centered and selfish people generally by nature.
    prettygirl326

Answer by prettygirl326 at 7:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Tis the nature of all teens. It's developmentally appropriate!

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:41 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Sorry hun, but that's just a teenager for ya.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:58 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My teen son is not like this. He was raised to put others first and he does. Don't know what to tell you aside from it is in the parenting.
    Anonymous

• He is a teen.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 11:32 PM on May. 25, 2011

• It isnt because he is a teen. It is because he is self-centered. Your son may just not be that mature yet, or it could just be the way his personality is.

Make sure his selfishness doesnt include skipping chores or having an attitude with you. Hold his responsible for his words and actions. Try to get him to help others (like helping grandpa with yardwork, helping nieghbors carry in groceries, etc) and let him see that you care about people. Model to him how you want him to think and tell him how you feel, like "I feel bad for Mrs. Smith that her brother died. Im sure she is pretty depressed. I think i will send her a sympathy card. Do you want to sign it?"
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:42 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I *think* its the age..
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:23 AM on May. 26, 2011