2 year old and dinner time: what is a realistic expectation?

Dinner was ROUGH in my house tonight. My DD, who has been 2 since March, wouldn't sit down at the table. So I asked her if she wanted to sit down or go to time out. She actually took herself to her time out spot. I tried again to get her to sit down. Back to time out. This happened a few times, until I physically put her in the dinner chair. She cried. Then refused to eat. I eventually finished my plate, finished feeding my 9 month old and put them both in the tub. Is it realistic to think that if she is hungry, she'll eat what I made? Or if she doesn't, she has to go to bed hungry? Is she too young for these expectations?
Thanks, I know this is a little long.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 7:52 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope I think your expectations are completely realistic. At 2 ours would sit at eat or if they did not want to eat they would at least sit. They know that there is no getting up from the dinner take. We started this at a young age and when they transitioned out of a highchair that is what we expected.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:55 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Also if they do not eat at dinner there is no eating afterwards. Then they start to understand that dinner means business and it winds up being a great time to spend as a family.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:56 PM on May. 25, 2011

• At 2, we started making our DD stay in her chair through dinner, as it is our Family time. I don't force her to eat what I make, but she doesn't get anything different unless she tries everything I've made. I would start setting a timer to help her transition to staying put a reasonable amount of time. First 10 min, then after a few days 12, then 15, up to 20. I think any more than 20 min, might be asking a lot out of a 2 y/o.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:20 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Next time, don't force her to sit at the table. She'll eat if/when she's hungry. You expectations are OK.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:58 PM on May. 25, 2011