Is anyone here been affected by the tornadoes????

People in Joplin are still counting their dead, and tornadoes are still lingering, what terrible chaos...

Asked by older at 7:58 PM on May. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Grandmother had no idea her sister was outside. When released from the factory, she headed for home(a feat in itself as nothing even remotely looked the same). Coincidently, she heard someone barely moaning in a road side ditch along the way.....it was one of her brothers who'd been heading home after work when the tornado struck. He was badly injured but while Grandmother ran to get help, someone else came along and took him to the hospital(he lived). The little girl was found later in a farmer's field far from the factory.
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 2:03 PM on May. 26, 2011

• My heart goes out to Joplin. I am directly across from them on the other side of the state. Yes, we have been under tornado warnings for the past two days and in fact, are experiencing them right now. We just got done with one and have about a 25 minute break before the next one, according to the news. It's ridiculous! I'm tracking the sirens.... Since April 15th, they have sounded 14 times! Since that time, I have had over 75 weather alerts on my phone. Now, I have another warning right now... Gotta run to the closet...

Take care everyone!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:04 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Both mine and dh's hometowns were hit in ar..denning was a small "community" in between coal hill and ozark (hometowns) that got leveled in Arkansas. My heart goes out to those in Joplin, and the places in Oklahoma as well. Luckily, all of our family survived and are ok.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:11 PM on May. 25, 2011

• i'm sorry, m-avi, I hope all is well, God bless! And momtokenzie, I am sorry about your hometowns, I am glad your family is okay.

I have friends in OKC, Thank God, they are okay!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:21 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We live in NE Oklahoma, about 30 miles from Joplin and have family there. Thankfully our family is safe, but we have lost some friends. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:30 PM on May. 25, 2011

• We had some warnings and watches on Monday and again last night, but only wind, rain and hail. Thoughts and prayers to all of those affected.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:48 PM on May. 25, 2011

• we had warnings today...expected the worse, schools/businesses closed early, doctors offices, too..Jonesboro (NEARkansas) was smack dab between two meso cells, both coming from the south, and moving NEward..the first cell nearly missed us a few miles to the NW, and headed toward Paragould-AR/Poplar Bluff-MO..then the second cell turned more eastward, barely clipping us to the south, and headed to West Memphis/Memphis-North...its been a long day!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:03 PM on May. 25, 2011

• My husband is stationed at an air force base just down the street from Sedlaia Missouri where two tornados touched down today luckily it did not hit the base.
    shsutterfield08

Answer by shsutterfield08 at 8:40 PM on May. 25, 2011

• Me personally? No, but I have a LOT of family and friends who are in the path of those storms. I even have some friends who live (lived?) in Joplin.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:59 PM on May. 25, 2011

• I'm just coming out of the tail end of that system. It literally just blew threw here, I just got my ds to bed because he is terrified of storms. Luckily it had weakened some and no tornados popped up. We had some severe winds but far as i can tell no damage. A tornado did touchdown a little northwest of here in Bedford Indiana, I was just looking at the damage on the news. Some homes were leveled and there were some injuries but so far no reports of any deaths, thank God. I'm very thankful because we have been through just about every one of those destructive storm cells the past several weeks and have dodged a bullet everytime. I feel for those who have lost their homes or family and friends.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:00 AM on May. 26, 2011